Author Topic: Snap to Nearest?  (Read 2170 times)

craigr

Snap to Nearest?
« on: December 21, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »
Though I am not new to CAD, I believe that my question is more appropriate for this Group....

I have never really had any success with the 'Snap to Nearest' icon / command. 

This morning, I am working on a floorplan of a Hospital and need to find the center of various hallways for placement of hardware.  To do this in the past, I have always chosen a corner on one side of the hallway, then drawn a line to the middle or so of the hallway, then use the extend command to extend it to the opposite side of the hall. But this morning, I thought I would give the 'Snap to Nearest' command. But, though I have Ortho on, the line will not 'snap to nearest' in a straight / follow the ortho. My line WILL snap to the other wall, but not necessarily maintain ortho, like I want it to.

Is there a better way to do this?

craigr

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: Snap to Nearest?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 10:18:10 AM »
Do you have snap to perpendicular as one of your snaps turned on?

I believe the snap to nearest will snap to only those points you have activated.

Granted I've been out of CAD for 8 years and autocad for 15.  So take my answer with that knowledge.   :angel:

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
Snap to perp should do what you want (if I understand your question)

Or maybe even the m2p option (middle of 2 points) might do the trick
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

craigr

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 10:23:06 AM »
Okay....

I am in the help file, looking for 'snap to perpendicular' as suggested. - to save me time, how do I turn this setting on?

craigr

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »
I just found it!!!

SWEET!!

Thanks so much.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »
NEA object snap does that that, snaps to the NEArest point to the cursor.

It ensures that the object touches whatever you NEA snapped to, but that's it.

craigr

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:12:05 AM »
   I have been doing CAD for approx. 15 years, teaching my self and with Much help from you folks on this site. I did take CAD in College, but it was the DOS version.

I don't remember using the 'snap to perpendicular' before, though I'm sure it was covered. But wow do I wish I had remembered it!  I used it many times yesterday and it sure saved some keystrokes. - So, I made sure to add the icon to on of my menu bars. I wonder how many others that I have forgotten that would help.   :)

Thanks again folks,
craigr