Author Topic: Why isn't this working?????  (Read 6811 times)

Zahex

Why isn't this working?????
« on: May 18, 2005, 04:50:20 AM »
Post off

nivuahc

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 07:09:25 AM »
Zahex...

What is this... about the 6th topic you've posted on this same routine?

Let me offer you a little advice...
[list=1]
  • When deciding what the subject of your post is going to be, be creative. Give people a clue about what it is that you specifically need help with. "Why won't this work" could be a million different things. A lot of the fine people here have only enough time to pop in, briefly, and see what's new. A more descriptive subject will encourage them to actually read your post and may get you the help you're looking for.
  • If you have a question, by all means, ask. But don't ask about a routine that you're having trouble with, get a couple of answers, start a new thread asking another (or the same) question, get a few more answers, etc...  First of all, it will end up getting you less help from those who may have something to offer because they find themselves having to jog from thread to thread trying to help you along with your problem. Secondly... consider the idea that someone else might be having the same exact trouble that you are, and is eagerly watching your original thread for the answer... should they try to keep up with all of the new threads you've created? Or would it be easier on them, and you, to keep your question in it's original thread and keep the people who are interested in helping you... interested in helping you?
    [/list:o]

SMadsen

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 09:56:21 AM »
Zahex, I think you have undertaken too big a job for a novice, or at least you are attacking it too brutely. There's nothing wrong with learning the stuff while writing an actual program - sometimes it's the best way to learn - but there has to be a reasonable sequence when climbing a learning curve. You cannot expect anyone here (or elsewhere) to help you aim for a high point on the curve if you show no interest in covering the basic parts. Such a request is equal to a request for finished code.

For example. Using GETSTRING to have the user make a choice (in the QUESTION-x functions) shows that you haven't explored other, and far better, facilities that AutoLISP provides to communicate with the user. And that's ok! We've all been there. The real issue is that, apparantly, you haven't even tried to figure out what is wrong before posting it: In QUESTION1, how do the choices (c)hange and e(x)it correspond to the test values of "m" and "s"?

If the user gets so far as to figure out that "m" is for change (?!), he will get a "too few arguments" error. This happens when a statement calls a function that needs arguments but supplies none, or lesser than required, during the call. In this case, the call to HELIX will need an argument because HELIX is defined to take an argument (param).

Try correct those basic flaws throughout your code (possibly by using the very simple technique I decribed in a reply to your PM). Try to catch the obvious before posting it but don't hesitate to post any specific questions about the less obvious. And in the same thread, please! It will result in a much better response. I promise.

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 11:32:22 AM »
Zahex or Paton

I've tried to get you an answer in the 'cond' thread like others also. But I see that you post the same old (edited) like before. That's (edited)...

Cheers
A computer's human touch is its unscrupulousness!
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
Current A2k16... A2k24 - Start R2.18

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 11:38:44 AM »
I can appreciate your frustration Jürg but we don't talk like that to folks here. The diplomat's version of what you said is in Chuck's (nivuahc) post. Gentle suggestion you follow that lead.

:)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 12:10:20 PM »
I know you're right Michael, but I followed his threads in the Adesk ng also...There where also some good tips to him, but no echo in the code.
Thats really frustrating.
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 12:15:02 PM »
I hear ya bro, I hear ya.
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Peter Jamtgaard

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 02:29:38 PM »
How about this for the question1 function:

Using initget will do that more simply.
Also remember to localize your variables, and I use reddick naming conventions so I added the str to the front of your Answer variable.
Plus your prompt didn't agree with your conditional.

hope this helps.

(defun question1 ( / strAnswer)
 (command "vpoint" (list -1 -3 1))
 (command "zoom" "ex")
 (initget 1 "M S R")      
 (setq strAnswer (getkword "\n[m], , or [r]: "))
 (cond
  ((= (strcase strAnswer1) "M")(helix))
  ((= (strcase strAnswer1) "S"))
  ((= (strcase strAnswer)  "R")(sol))
 )
); defun

Peter Jamtgaard

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 02:31:07 PM »
Oops

Forgot to format the code.

Code: [Select]

(defun question1 ( / strAnswer)
 (command "vpoint" (list -1 -3 1))
 (command "zoom" "ex")
 (initget 1 "M S R")
 (setq strAnswer (getkword "\n[m], [s], or [r]: "))
 (cond
  ((= (strcase strAnswer1) "M")(helix))
  ((= (strcase strAnswer1) "S"))
  ((= (strcase strAnswer) "R")(sol))
 )
); defun

daron

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 03:33:05 PM »
Couldn't you have just edited your original post?

Zahex

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 05:12:57 PM »
I'm sorry guys...It's just that i'm so eager to understand all this that didn't even bother to organize all the information that i have been receiving from you all!
You are all right about what you said and i'm truly sorry and also very thankfull for you being friendly to me especially in the way you offer me your advices...

Thank you very much for the way you treated me

DEVITG

• Bull Frog
why not to help.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 07:57:05 PM »
post off too
Location @ Córdoba Argentina Using ACAD 2019  at Window 10

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 09:54:38 PM »
<rubbingeyes.mpg>

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 02:30:53 AM »
Speechless...
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH

Zahex

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 11:09:52 AM »
All the codes posted on internet can be used by everyone who seeks...i was trying to make a lisp routine based on helix and i found a code that draws one so i used the code...it was not copyiyng someone's work it was using it.I never read anywhere that the information posted wasn't able to be used i thought that the point of these foruns was exactly it,bringing to everyone who seeks valuable information...

And Gabriel,i never told you the objective of my work because you didn't bother to ask...and i am thankfull for the time you spent helping me,if you were unhappy with that situation you should have said something...

About the codes you posted,please remove them or at least edit them so that the headline with the student information is removed...this isn't about exposing someone,but about the way i seeked for help,and thanks to the comments of some of you i learned,so don't mind i will never post again...Forget about ZAhex and Baçon,i promise i wont post again so please remove my codes...

Thanks for the advices
Maybe someday i can be usefull to someone in a topic i'm very good at.