Author Topic: Renumerating  (Read 17078 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Renumerating
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2004, 04:57:17 PM »
Xdata can be difficult to master, I seldom use it, but to each 'is own
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Renumerating
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2004, 07:05:50 PM »
This area is new to me, but could you use a block to store the last entered number
leaving all labels as text. I suppose the block could be on a Non-plotting layer
or hidden somehow?

CAB
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Renumerating
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2004, 07:11:12 PM »
> or hidden somehow?
How about
vlax-put-property obj 'Visible :vlax-false
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Renumerating
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2004, 07:19:42 PM »
There you go... another ingenious way to solve a problem....insert a single block with a single attribute in the drawing, make it invisible, then simply search for and extract that and update that block data as needed.

Well, I know there was a more than one way to skin a cat....fish that is...

SMadsen

Renumerating
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2004, 08:38:48 AM »
Quote from: deegeecees
Use  use ssget "x" function to collect all text objects on the layer, then iterate through them, creating a list.

I think deegeecees has the only worth while solution to this problem. Imagine someone missing to order 50 duct pieces just because someone forgot to run a lisp routine? Not good.

Run through all the existing numbers, decide which is the most recent and start counting from there on. Whether it is text, mtext, attribute info or whatever holding the numbers. Reorganize the drawings if needed - put numbers on unique layers, in unique attributes or attach a signature as xdata saying it is a duct number. Doesn't matter, but don't save the last count anywhere! Get the last count fresh from the bakery each time you need to add a count.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Renumerating
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2004, 08:52:55 AM »
Stig, the original request was that the lisp that WB had would not retrieve the last number used, we were simply trying to fix an otherwise fine lisp by having it retrieve and store the last number used.

There are merits to any system used, but no matter how you look at it, somewhere someone MUST run a lisp, vba or macro and since the lisp is what will number the duct pieces, the user cannot simply "forget" to run it, to do so would be to "forget" to do their job in the first place.

I know there were at least 5 good solutions to this scenario the job of deciding which to use is up to WB, that is why we have a forum to get everyones input.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Renumerating
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2004, 09:29:07 AM »
I think Stig has a point.

Also: What are you gonna do if someone decides to copy a section of duct with hidden xdata? They run the app and the app starts off with a huge number. I am begining to think that saving the info anywhere but in the entity itself is a bad thing. (I can already see quite a bit of info being stored in that object.)

...This had better get drawn out, cuase this could get messy!
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

SMadsen

Renumerating
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2004, 09:30:46 AM »
Quote from: KEB
Stig, the original request was that the lisp that WB had would not retrieve the last number used.

Keith, you're correct. And I say, retrieve the last number, not by saving it, but by counting to it.

Quote from: KEB
.. somewhere someone MUST run a lisp, vba or macro and since the lisp is what will number the duct pieces, the user cannot simply "forget" to run it, to do so would be to "forget" to do their job in the first place.

True, but consider this:

1. Get last count from saved static data
2. Increment number
3. Click at duct piece to add number
4. Go to 2. until done
5. Save last count as static data

Splendid. Now do as users always do: hit Escape at no. 3. Replace no. 4 with 5? Hit escape somewhere else.
Use USERxx or LData? Load another app that overwrites it. Use Dicts? Lost if wblocked. Use XData? Hit Esc at the wrong place and it's out of sync. Use external file? Out of sync on different stations. Just too risky to save a single number somewhere if it can be retrieved on the fly. One could even put a verifier into the code to report errors in existing sequences.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Renumerating
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2004, 09:33:06 AM »
count each time?! ...Yeah i see your point Stig.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

SMadsen

Renumerating
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2004, 09:41:43 AM »
Yeah well, count each time you need a number to count from, i.e. each time the routine is run  :)

daron

Renumerating
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2004, 09:44:16 AM »
Sure, considering user variables can be changed by anybody at any time.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Renumerating
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2004, 09:47:34 AM »
Stig...point taken, and it is a very valid point, WB will simply have to ensure that a standard is adhered to when applying numbers to ducts. If a routine is going to retrieve all of the duct numbers, the duct numbers must be identified by either xdata, a special layer, textstyle, blockname or other uniquely identifiable trait that can be filtered for. This is where a drawing standard will come in... I think we all understand the importance of standards...Now it is simply a matter of getting the information from WB as to what he would like to do.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Renumerating
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2004, 09:12:27 PM »
While your at it how about

Report any missing numbers

CAB
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.