Author Topic: "Google reveals its servers all contain custom security silicon"  (Read 186 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • Seagull
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/16/google_reveals_its_servers_all_contain_custom_security_silicon/

Google has published a Infrastructure Security Design Overview that explains how it secures the cloud it uses for its own operations and for public cloud services.

Revealed last Friday, the document outlines six layers of security and reveals some interesting factoids about the Alphabet subsidiary's operations, none more so than the revelation that “we also design custom chips, including a hardware security chip that is currently being deployed on both servers and peripherals. These chips allow us to securely identify and authenticate legitimate Google devices at the hardware level.”
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: "Google reveals its servers all contain custom security silicon"
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 12:52:59 pm »
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/16/google_reveals_its_servers_all_contain_custom_security_silicon/

Google has published a Infrastructure Security Design Overview that explains how it secures the cloud it uses for its own operations and for public cloud services.

Revealed last Friday, the document outlines six layers of security and reveals some interesting factoids about the Alphabet subsidiary's operations, none more so than the revelation that “we also design custom chips, including a hardware security chip that is currently being deployed on both servers and peripherals. These chips allow us to securely identify and authenticate legitimate Google devices at the hardware level.”

Maybe it doesn't actually matter, but WHY WOULD THEY PUBLISH THIS INFORMATION???
Human.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:52:44 pm »
Maybe it doesn't actually matter, but WHY WOULD THEY PUBLISH THIS INFORMATION???
Psychological warfare
I learned my lessons ... SLOWLY ~ Unknown

=   =   =  ACA 2015, Revit Arch 2015 & 16 Navisworks Manage 2015 & 16 on 64bit on Win7P  =   =   =   =

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:23:41 am »
Psychological warfare

Meh...the hackers are nut cases to begin with.  Nothing psychological there.  Might as well tell them you are going to attack them at this spot before doing so.   :evil:
Human.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 11:03:53 am »
They would have to know how the chips are coded.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 11:21:38 am »

Now they know they have to figure that out.  Already one step closer.

That's why there are secrets.  While not always the most secure, it's still another level of security the bad guys have to get through.
Human.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:36:13 am »

Now they know they have to figure that out.  Already one step closer.

That's why there are secrets.  While not always the most secure, it's still another level of security the bad guys have to get through.
Or they just throw up their hands and say say "forget it!"