Author Topic: I have a question about Blocks  (Read 4102 times)

craigr

I have a question about Blocks
« on: November 15, 2016, 12:01:10 PM »
I have a program that we use to convert Floorplans from .pdf to .dwg files.  Once in CAD, I then 'scale' them up to actual size.

Since this program creates a lot of little lines, often breaking up a straight line into multiple small lines, etc...  Well, this ends up with MANY small lines in the drawing which slows AutoCAD some.

My question about Blocks is - Once I clean the drawing of ductwork, construction symbols, etc. then make a block of the 'cleaned' floor plan, shouldn't this significantly speed the program back to 'normal speed'? - This isn't the case and figure I may be doing something wrong.

Before making it a block, I also use QSelect and select all lines less  that 0.5 inches, then delete those lines. I also put all things on One Layer called 'Floorplan', then change every thing to 'bylayer' colors.

Am I doing something wrong which slows the drawing down?

I am using AutoCAD LT 2013.

Thanks in Advance, craigr

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
Re: I have a question about Blocks
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 12:21:21 PM »
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

craigr

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
Hey!!! I learned 'overkill'!!

I didn't know about that one. Using it cut this current drawing file size in half!!

Thanks, craigr

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:02:10 AM »
When dealing with raster PDFs, especially scanned drawings, PDF converters are sketchy at best, as you have found. Often times, it is faster to just redraw the floor plan from scratch than it is to clean up the output from a PDF converter.
CAD Tech

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 10:28:38 AM »
Creating one block doesn't do anything.  Blocks are more efficient on larger scales, where you have dozens if not hundreds of the same item.  Exactly the same as XREFs except the definition is in the drawing rather than pointing to an external file - an XREF used in one place doesn't gain you a whole lot but the same XREF used in multiple places does.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
ook Re: I have a question about Blocks
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 11:05:34 AM »
Convertinng scanned pdf is probably the dumbest idea .. It's waste in a pure fashion

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 11:08:40 AM »
Welp, what he is describing wouldn't be happening if it were a vector PDF.
CAD Tech

craigr

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 11:11:26 AM »
'Convertinng scanned pdf is probably the dumbest idea .. It's waste in a pure fashion' - Perhaps in your discipline. 

IF there is a CAD file available, fine. BUT, if nothing is else available, we have to do what we have to do. We can only work with what we have AND our customer is willing to pay for.

craigr

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »
Pdf underlay and various other drafting techniques available of You ask me... I would (can) avoid it. Cheers..

craigr

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »
Pdf underlay and various other drafting techniques available of You ask me... I would (can) avoid it. Cheers..

?????

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
'Convertinng scanned pdf is probably the dumbest idea .. It's waste in a pure fashion' - Perhaps in your discipline. 

IF there is a CAD file available, fine. BUT, if nothing is else available, we have to do what we have to do. We can only work with what we have AND our customer is willing to pay for.

craigr

Although, it was way overstated by lamarn, I already stated the same sentiment. Although, for you it may be faster to do the conversion and clean up the really bad CAD, as I understand you are using these for backgrounds and accuracy is not of much concern. With that being said, I think I would still take the time to redraw them but that's my OCD talking.
CAD Tech

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
If it's something you're going to use for a background, convert the PDF to a bitonal BMP and insert it into your drawing. This way the image will take on the color of whatever layer you put it on ( to shade back ). PDF's IMO cause a huge performance hit even though they've gotten much better.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »
That would be ideal, but according to the OP, he has to clean out mechanical trade work from the resultant converted .dwg.
CAD Tech

craigr

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »
Unfortunately, more times than not, I am forced to scale the converted to CAD file using a hospital door and guessing the width of the door, by standard door widths for a certain type of door. I usually get it 'close' for our needs, such as figuring how much Network wire we need down hallways. SOMETIMES, the scanned PDF will actually have a 'scale' in the corner that I can use. - I realize that this is Horrible, but again, I have to use what I can get AND the customer is willing to pay  for.

Another option that I always try first.... IF there is a titleblock on the scanned dwg, I contact the firm that drew it and TRY to get an actual CAD version. Most of the time, they are willing to send me one. But other times, they want to charge me hundreds of dollars for each sheet, which of course I won't do. IF I can get to the actual CAD person instead of the Engineer, I typically have greater success.

Believe me, I have OCD also, (to a fault), but time IS money and it is VERY tight in my discipline. As a professional, I must be realistic.

craigr

craigr

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »
That would be ideal, but according to the OP, he has to clean out mechanical trade work from the resultant converted .dwg.

Yes AND, in my experience, working with ANY inserted files is more headache than it is worth. - I
 firmly refuse to do this.  If others, in other companies do this, I have no problem. But I won't allow it here.

craigr