Author Topic: An apology to Stephen Preston  (Read 3261 times)

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
An apology to Stephen Preston
« on: October 19, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »

In the past, every time I've seen new AutoCAD .NET developers choosing to use VB.net I've sworn quietly to myself at Stephen Preston for the early influence he had and recommendations he made to use VB.net.

I've just come across a 2012 article by Stephen indicating that he's changed his mind.

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2012/05/vbnet-or-c-a-personal-perspective.html

I unreservedly apologise to Stephen for my bad thoughts since that time.

To be fair, most issues have been because people have attempted to shoehorn their vb and .COM habits and thinking into .NET ... and any code samples (good or bad) have taken on a life of their own.

Regards,

Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: An apology to Stephen Preston
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 03:07:34 AM »
To be fair, most issues have been because people have attempted to shoehorn their vb and .COM habits and thinking into .NET ... and any code samples (good or bad) have taken on a life of their own.

Too true, I think I was lucky having some experience with ARX in C++ that I could use when getting started with C#. The difference between the COM object model and the ObjectARX object model are quite different and I think people were led into believing that "it's nearly the same" as VB/A just by looking at the language - big mistake!

I've had to wrangle with plenty of VB.Net stuff and found it fine once I remembered some syntax idiosyncrasies.
Personally, I prefer the C style of syntax of C# but that's just me :)
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

gile

• Gator
  • Marseille, France
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 04:25:15 AM »

This is one more good reason for those who have a VB(A) background to choose C#...
Speaking English as a French Frog

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:27:13 AM »
I blame Bill

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »
Hillary Clinton invented VB.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »

On the other hand...

I have 5 fingers.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 12:50:14 PM »
If we could just get Trump to create a program language.
T# would be the greatest programming language ever.
It would make programming great again.

If for some reason it was a disaster that's because we all know code editors are rigged.

***********Somehow text got small no edits********
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:16:52 PM by Jeff H »

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 02:05:49 PM »
T# is a highly experimental language that shouldn't be used outside the lab -- it is not a stable or complete build. It's OOP (Objectify Other's P*ssies) implementation fails because it's classless. It also has poor support for many types, is missing declarations, does not come with any documentation and lacks substantive peer support. In stress testing it produces wildly inconsistent results. tl;dr: Not recommended for production use. *

* Not to be interpreted as an endorsement of the H# language which has integrity and corruption issues.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
T# is a highly experimental language that shouldn't be used outside the lab -- it is not a stable or complete build. It's OOP (Objectify Other's P*ssies) implementation fails because it's classless. It also has poor support for many types, is missing declarations, does not come with any documentation and lacks substantive peer support. In stress testing it produces wildly inconsistent results. tl;dr: Not recommended for production use. *

* Not to be interpreted as an endorsement of the H# language which has integrity and corruption issues.
;D

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

jmaeding

• Bull Frog
  • I'm just here for the Shelties.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 05:06:45 PM »
Stephen has been a great help to me throughout the years. But I think of him as a "full depth" api guy, unlike myself as I only do C#, not C++.
I don't think too many people care what dialect Stephen recommends though (sorry Stephen), as Kean Walmsley is the much more influential .net person for adesk. That would be a bummer if Kean had VB affection.
I tend to think that the top level programmers at autodesk are so far down the rabbit hole that these higher level languages are just distractions, what they really care about is if their C++ API can or cannot do something.
I'm just glad they give .net any attention, I can translate their code in minutes.

Now, to hijack the thread, why can't guys like Stephen and Kean get together and get Autodesk to fix the dwg format to not pass on anything like app ids, layer filters, materials, anno scales... from the xref to current dwg? (Detaching xrefs does not make the items go away, they stick.) That is killing efficiency in many companies, as the items are so rampant they cannot clean all during the day, and they come back. The best thing about the .net api is I can clean this stuff fast - when I catch it...

James Maeding