Author Topic: Tagging Multiple pipes  (Read 654 times)

hudster

• Gator
Tagging Multiple pipes
« on: October 11, 2016, 06:54:17 am »
I have a standard pipe drop, 3 pipes dropping from above to below, nothing special.
What I'm wondering is, is there a way I could select all 3 pipes and tag them with a single tag?

At the moment i need to add 3 tags, select whether they are using the left or right justified family, then align them and finally place the tag. resulting in tagging a drawing that takes hours, I have over 700 pipe drops in this project.

So is there a multiple tag I can use, or is there a better workflow?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Tagging Multiple pipes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 07:05:03 am »
Haven't you tried "Tag All"? You are still going to have some work to do but it does get the tags in so that you won't miss any.

Unfortunately, annotation is a necessary evil and good annotation takes time.
CAD Tech

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 07:10:28 am »
I use tag all at the moment, I change the view range to only show the drops, select them all and tag all, then move all 2100 tags to their correct positions.  :-(
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:14:56 am »
If most of them are in the same place in relation to the drop, you might be able to move the label within in the tag family to that same offset in relation to the center of the pipe. Untested.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 07:15:56 am »
...then move all 2100 tags to their correct positions.  :-(
Yup. That's what you'll have to do. Unless you have a perfect project where everything is the same for each instance, every floor, every building. Which I've never seen.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 07:19:13 am »
If most of them are in the same place in relation to the drop, you might be able to move the label within in the tag family to that same offset in relation to the center of the pipe. Untested.
It would work but I have to believe this project has more than just pipe drops. There's got to be something else that could potentially be in the way, therefore the tags will need to be adjusted accordingly.

If the drops are consistent from one floor to the next (I.E. no jogs in the pipes) then you could copy the tags then paste them using ALIGNED TO SELECTED VIEWS and drop them onto certain views. May save a little bit of time.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:22:16 am »
If the drops are consistent from one floor to the next (I.E. no jogs in the pipes) then you could copy the tags then paste them using ALIGNED TO SELECTED VIEWS and drop them onto certain views. May save a little bit of time.

I've had mixed results with this as the tags don't always find a host, thus requiring a manual review, but you might get lucky.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:24:37 am »

I've had mixed results with this as the tags don't always find a host, thus requiring a manual review, but you might get lucky.
The objects need to be the same and in the exact same location for it work.
Autodesk Expert Elite

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 07:29:27 am »
Back to that perfect project again...

[rant]We've got modelers that put reducers in the middle of runs, or rises in this case. Hard to predict.[/rant]
CAD Tech

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:47:06 am »
its not a perfect project in any way. Walls don't line up, floors stop before the walls, ceilings with gaps etc.
The architect is good at making it look pretty, I'll give you a hint of their Revit prowess. They stared at me with blank expressions when I asked them about their view templates. They don't have any. :uglystupid2:

Ah well, back to moving tags about