Author Topic: Fix grub2 error.. won't boot to windows  (Read 401 times)

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Fix grub2 error.. won't boot to windows
« on: October 06, 2016, 11:20:52 am »
I'm hoping I didn't screw the pooch on this one.  I had my laptop setup to dual boot a year ago or so, then I removed the linux install (mint) but grub was left on (not sure if it was grub1 or 2).  Now I need linux for school stuff, so I waited until the semester was over to try and setup my computer to dual boot again.  I downloaded Fedora 20 to test out, and it seemed okay I went ahead and installed it on a partition on my harddrive.

I can see Windows 8 in the grub2 menu, but it errors each time (attached is a bad picture of the error screen).  I have fixed an issue with grub before, not finding the correct UUID, but this time it seems to be finding the correct UUID of the windows partition.  I have tried other steps online, and have not gotten it to work for me.

I am able to boot into Fedora just fine.  I can mount the windows directory even.  But I cannot boot to it right now and that is a big issue for me, as I need my windows partition to work.  Please let me know of any fix I can try.  My latest efforts have been from this page:
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/47607/windows-doesnt-appear-in-grub-after-installing-fedora/

Thanks in advance.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Re: Fix grub2 error.. won't boot to windows
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 01:18:24 pm »
I think I might be screwed, as when I tried to change the boot style to UEFI, I got the attached error.  It seems like it does not know where the windows boot loader is anymore.  I will continue to see if I can find an answer, but I am not holding my breath anymore... sad.  I didn't even think to make a restore point on my windows.
Tim

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 01:29:25 pm »
Don't know if this helps, but here is why my hd looks like.

The windows partitions that grub is trying to boot are on sda3 and sda5.
Tim

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 04:28:25 pm »
I think I have an answer here:
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17774-windows-8-boot-error-bcd-post403121.html#post403121

But it will have to wait until tomorrow.  I cannot look at my screen anymore.  Will update this thread with results.
Tim

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Ermahgad...Merks Swermp
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 10:32:11 am »
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17774-windows-8-boot-error-bcd-post403121.html#post403121

But it will have to wait until tomorrow.  I cannot look at my screen anymore.  Will update this thread with results.

Keep up the good work...You'll solve this for the OP and I'm sure the OP will be very happy for the help.  ^-^
People on this forum do ROCK!  Except for [YOU].

Atook

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 01:32:56 pm »
That's the Windows boot loader, not grub.

You can try the solution in the eightforums link, which should work to get windows back. Once in windows, you may even be able to add Fedora to the windows boot loader.

Your other option is to re-install grub (and fedora over it's self?) and create a boot option in grub to the windows install (sda5). Grub is pretty good about finding previous OS installs and including them automatically, at least when I used it with Ubuntu.

I've run dual boot with both windows loader and grub, and grub ends up being more reliable IMO. It's a PITA to configure sometimes, but you only do that a few times when you're getting set up as you like it.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 03:34:22 pm »
I don't think reloading Fedora and Grub again will work.  I think somehow the Windows boot loader got corrupted, as Grub finds the win boot loader but the boot loader won't work (bad error picture in first post).  That is why I think I have to try the solution from the win eight forums.  I first tried messing with Grub, and I found the correct boot location, but the error still persisted.  I did not have time today, but tomorrow I don't have to work, so tomorrow is dedicated to this.

Keep up the good work...You'll solve this for the OP and I'm sure the OP will be very happy for the help.  ^-^
So true!
Tim

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 08:29:11 am »
I don't know how I fixed the problem, but I am typing this from windows.

I tried the stuff from the win8 forums. -- Didn't work
Tried stuff from blogs to fix it. --- Didn't work
Tried stuff from MS tech pagers.  -- Didn't work

Worse I couldn't even boot into Fedora anymore.  Good thing I still have my fedora thumb drive.  I reinstalled fedora, this time making sure I create an EFI boot partition (not sure if this was the original error).  Then it just booted into fedora.  So I installed grub2.  Rebooted, and here I am.  I'm so happy right now.

The sad part is I don't think I want fedora on my laptop anymore.  It does not seem battery efficient, but am scared to change it.  I am off to make a restore point for my windows though.  Never done that before, but I think I won't mind reading and learning it.

Thanks for reading, though I'm not sure how much help it will be in the future.
Tim

paulmcz

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 09:16:54 am »
The Windows "Restore Point" is good but you have to be able to boot the system and run it from within Windows. EaseUS Todo system backup saved my but a few times already. There are other good free cloning or system backup & restore utilities out there. Like Macrium Reflect.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 06:07:20 am »
Thanks paulmcz.  I am doing more research, and it looks like the way to go for me is a 'system image'.  That is something i can reinstall from the installation software.  At least it looks like it can be, and since it is a byte copy of the drive, then it should have all the correct information.

On a side note:
I think my issue was that when I installed Fedora the first time I did not tell Grub that my system is a UEFI system and boots with GPT instead of a MBR.  (I have a slight idea what this means now, but will continue to do more research for if I install another linux besides Fedora in the future).  The idea behind this is: now that Grub boots correctly to my windows, I noticed that it is boot from a different partition (/dev/sda2) where the first installation of Grub was trying to boot from '/dev/sda3' for 'windows recovery' and '/dev/sda5' for windows.

As I learn more I will continue to post here.  Thanks for listening/reading my ramblings.  I continue to know 'just' enough to be dangerous.
Tim

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Ermahgad...Merks Swermp
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 12:28:40 pm »
Had you tried shutting down and restarting the computer?   :-D
People on this forum do ROCK!  Except for [YOU].