Author Topic: microstation clone  (Read 3126 times)

bobvan

microstation clone
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
I would like any information on cad programs that function like Microstation.  I am an old cad designer from before Microstion was Microstation.  I started out on Intergraph's (IGDS) and then on to Microstation on the pc.  I have tried to use Acad and find the command structure none intuitive.  I'm too comfortable with the Microstation way of doing things.  I can not afford the price of Bentley systems products and really only need 2d capability for small projects in my shop.  Is there a free or reasonably priced cad 2d program that uses the left click command selection, left click data screen input, right click reset and left+right click for snap. its what I know and really like. I apologize if you like Acad.

Best
Bob VanValkenburg

tedg

• Swamp Rat
Re: microstation clone
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
I apologize if you like Acad.

Best
Bob VanValkenburg
That is all I get out of this..
(LOL)
Sorry I don't have a answer to your question, I've use Microstation and being a long time, advanced, Acad user... I HATE (with a passion) MicroStation.
I used a program called DesignCad about 20 years ago that I think was cheap, but I think it acted like Acad release 8 more than anything.

Good luck on your search.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »
You should be asking in a MicroStation forum. Not much love for MicroStation around here.
CAD Tech

bobvan

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I would go to a Microstation forum if I could find one.  Bentley has that sewn up I believe.  I'm sorry you hate Microstation.  I think you like what you are comfortable with.  I know I do.  Just want to find an acceptable substitute for my budget.  It seems like that may not exist.

Thanks again

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 03:17:01 PM »
CAD Tech

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »
I'm not sure what industry you are in but

SketchUp
LibreCAD
KiCAD

Why are you upgrading? Just use the last installed/paid for version of Microstation.

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
I am not sure if anything ever came of this and if so, what the result but this may be what you are looking for -

http://spatialnews.geocomm.com/community/lists/viewmessage.phtml?id=1242 

Good luck, with your search.  I sympathize with your frustration trying to change platforms ... I learned to become pretty proficient with AutoCAD products but in three separate attempts to learn Microstation I filed miserably.  My single success was finally successfully create a line.  I was so excited I tried to back track to see what I had done correctly but erased the blasted thing instead.  Then I could not figure out how I had done either.  I lost most of my interest after that.

bobvan

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 09:53:51 PM »
I tried Bentley communities and have no response.   Its like asking Ford if they could help me find a free mustang (clone).  I've dealt with that system back in my engineering days and it was hard enough getting help with Microstation let alone with my needs now. 

To din0saur  Thank you so much for understanding. I had the same experience with Acad.  I fully acknowledge that they are the industry leader/standard.  I just never got used to using it and would love my Ustation back.   I found the site you recommended and it sounded promising.  That post was 16 years old I believe.  I think it came and went.  I found an eCADlite download site which as indicated was free.  Sounded good until the install process required a serial number.  I think I will keep working on that as well as hoping someone knows of a new clone.

Thanks very much

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 08:11:02 AM »
Plenty of low cost AutoCAD clones out there, but no Microstation clones that I'm aware of.

The demand for AutoCAD like clones is high due to the huge number of users out there, and compounded by the recent licensing changes at Autodesk.
I suspect Microstation clones are in low demand since the user base is much lower and it's primarily only used commercially by those doing DOT work.

bobvan

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 08:24:04 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I found what I was looking for.  I'm sure no one is interested but its called Dualcad.  Its all I will need for my limited needs.  It was a true puzzle.  I finally found it in a Google search   dgn  being the word that did the trick after thirty iterations.

Thanks for all the help

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:27:54 AM »
I don't think it would hurt anything to post a link here.

http://www.pcscad.com/

Thanks for the follow up!

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »
I would like any information on cad programs that function like Microstation.
   :-D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 08:57:54 AM »
oh, sure you could have.  you just didn't want to resist.

sidebar comment,  considering that uStn started out as a clone of Intergraph, and now has a clone of itself, does this mean we're in the middle of the clone wars? 
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business