Author Topic: Sheet Set Permission on Server  (Read 2719 times)

pBe

• Bull Frog
Sheet Set Permission on Server
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:43:47 AM »
Guys

I need your help.

Any ideas on why on a local SHARED folder, other users can modify/add/edit the properties add a sheet view from a DST file. But when i move or create a DST file to a server folder [ wherein i was told "everyone" has Read/Write permission ] the option to edit the DST disappears.

First of all, not an IT, also our IT is as puzzled as I am on why sheet sets properties / sheet view are not accessible to the other users.

Any thoughts?

ChrisCarlson

Re: Sheet Set Permission on Server
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:02:51 AM »
I'd double check your domain permissions again

pBe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »
Thank you Master Shake,  I could tell them that. BUT I would want to check it first before i even say "check your domain permissions again"

Before what i said was [ quote From our friend BlackBox ]

"Once a DST (sheet set file )has been created within any given project on the server's share, the parent folder's NTFS / Share permissions should be inherited. Meaning, your project folders likely inherit permissions set for the share itself, so any 'domain user' or other applicable 'user group' has X, Y, Z permissions for that folder and any files within.

In the same dialog, under 'Permission entries', you should see yourself with 'Full Control' presumably (as the Creator/Owner, listed as 'Parent Object'?), and something along the lines of 'Domain Users' also presumably with 'Full Control' but this *should* be inherited from some folder within the network drive's letter (i.e., Z:\Projects\, etc.).

I set our server's Share permissions to 'share all', and then use NTFS permissions to manage who within our domain has access to what files, and folders using Active Directory."

They said we did all that.

Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:27:49 AM by pBe »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:07:45 AM »
Thank you Master Shake,  I could tell them that. BUT I would want to check it first before i even say "check your domain permissions again"

Before what i said was [ quote From our friend BlackBox ]

"Once a DST (sheet set file )has been created within any given project on the server's share, the parent folder's NTFS / Share permissions should be inherited. Meaning, your project folders likely inherit permissions set for the share itself, so any 'domain user' or other applicable 'user group' has X, Y, Z permissions for that folder and any files within.

In the same dialog, under 'Permission entries', you should see yourself with 'Full Control' presumably (as the Creator/Owner, listed as 'Parent Object'?), and something along the lines of 'Domain Users' also presumably with 'Full Control' but this *should* be inherited from some folder within the network drive's letter (i.e., Z:\Projects\, etc.).

I set our server's Share permissions to 'share all', and then use NTFS permissions to manage who within our domain has access to what files, and folders using Active Directory."

They said we did all that.

So is there a way to verify if these are done without them having to check it for me?

Thank you in advance
rt-click and check the properties/permissions for  highest level project folder, and the folder where the DST is being saved
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
The way we solved permissions issue was two steps

User A could not create a .DST on the network

Then after addressing that

User A created a .DST on the network, User A was able to edit
User B had read-only rights.

pBe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »
Creating the DST on the server is not the issue kind sir, User A who is the owner has the sole rights to modify / edit / add to DST. again when the DST is on the server location. User B cannot utilize Sheet View nor call out blocks among others.

When a DST is created on a local drive say . c:\user\chicken.run\Documents\AutoCAD Sheet Sets\Project Folder \ 1A1 AND when the said folder is "shared" , users can edit / modify / add to the sheet sets. As they are listed on the "choose people to share with" with read/write permission level.

What i dont get is, why cant it be done on our server? is it because its DFS? I've seen it worked twice before. and i know it can be done, DST files on the server with other users having read/write access. What gives? Dont know much about IT stuff though.

Thank you for your time kind Master

pBe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »
[rt-click and check the properties/permissions for  highest level project folder, and the folder where the DST is being saved

I will give this a try tomorrow

Thank you
pBe

pBe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:27:22 AM »
Thoughts anyone?

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »
DFS ?? maybe. at one point Acad had problems with DFS, and the Sheet Set Manager has been ignored for so long, that it may still have issues.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 07:31:18 AM »
Creating the DST on the server is not the issue kind sir, User A who is the owner has the sole rights to modify / edit / add to DST. again when the DST is on the server location. User B cannot utilize Sheet View nor call out blocks among others.

When a DST is created on a local drive say . c:\user\chicken.run\Documents\AutoCAD Sheet Sets\Project Folder \ 1A1 AND when the said folder is "shared" , users can edit / modify / add to the sheet sets. As they are listed on the "choose people to share with" with read/write permission level.

What i dont get is, why cant it be done on our server? is it because its DFS? I've seen it worked twice before. and i know it can be done, DST files on the server with other users having read/write access. What gives? Dont know much about IT stuff though.

Thank you for your time kind Master

You proved my point exactly, if User A can create a .DST on the network but user B cannot modify it there is a permissions issue.