Author Topic: educational version.  (Read 1992 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
educational version.
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:12:25 AM »
It has come to my attention that someone I know might have been working on an educational version of AutoCAD.  Due to how things used to be (with the stamps etc) I daren't let the drawing go on our network.

How can I tell if the drawing has been created/modified using an educational version... and if it has, is it best to send the drawing back to the originator?

(It seems after doing a search here, it either isn't a problem anymore, or people aren't doing it anymore)

Many thanks for any advice and guidance
Tracey
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
CAD Tech

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Re: educational version.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »
You might find this of interest:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD-Detect-drawings-with-educational-plot-stamp.html
So am I right in thinking if they had created it in 2016 or 2017 it wont affect the network here?

Do they still plot with educational stamp on them?

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:29:45 AM »
The plot stamp is gone.

IIRC, the information will carry forward when content from those files is used in other files. I don't think there was ever an issue with it directly affecting networks.

I think the best information you can take from that is the educational version information can be removed used DWGCONVERT.
CAD Tech

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:06:55 AM »
If you are responsible for the licensing I would suggest you get a commercial version ASAP. If it is a 3rd party you deal with I would bring it to their attention.

It's incredibly unethical using the education version in a commercial setting.

As said previously, I think it was 2016 or 2017 they basically made the educational version exactly the same as the commercial use version.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 08:24:33 AM »
If you are responsible for the licensing I would suggest you get a commercial version ASAP. If it is a 3rd party you deal with I would bring it to their attention.

It's incredibly unethical using the education version in a commercial setting.

As said previously, I think it was 2016 or 2017 they basically made the educational version exactly the same as the commercial use version.
Agree 100%
I'm not responsible for that side of things, I purely want to make sure the drawing doesn't get used (grabbing blocks, or being inserted into any of our drawings)
I have mentioned it to my bosses... and they are "looking into it"

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 12:39:56 PM »
previously, I think it was 2016 or 2017 they basically made the educational version exactly the same as the commercial use version.

2015 version started hiding the plot stamp, but left the actual flag in place.  Big stink ensued as some users in the new version would think the drawings were clean, but when they were sent elsewhere and opened on 2014 or earlier versions the entire project would be flagged.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}