Author Topic: Understanding DWGs alittle better. . .  (Read 2484 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Understanding DWGs alittle better. . .
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:59:06 PM »
I hope this make me see like I am smart asking this, but I totally can see it making me look ________ on the other side of it...

Lets say I have a Detail Sheet. That has detail blocks in it with an xref Title Block. The file size is 2MB. Details are in model space and title block is in paper space.

I detach the title block xref and save the Detail Sheet. The file size is still 2MB.

I then, WBLOCK out the details in modelspace to a new drawing. The file size is about 250KB. (cool.)

I then xref the same title block into the wblock dwg. Save the file and the file size is 2MB.

I go one step further, I wblock out the title block which has a size of 70KB. I xref that into the wblock details and save the file. The file size is 2MB.

Am I missing something here? I did this test on my workstation, detached from the network and reconfigured CAD by removing my app data stuff. (So very similar to a new install).

Thanks for any feedback... Just trying to understand.

Also, anyone using Civil3D2016 have their purge dialog box appear very very slowly / delayed?
Civil3D 2020

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Understanding DWGs alittle better. . .
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 01:09:33 PM »
Might be tons of registered applications in the titleblock.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:13:38 PM »
Yup, Even in the WB Titleblock dwg, I did run an audit pu and a -pu on it.
Civil3D 2020

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
Whenever I question the size of a drawing, I run the code from below
https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=9433.0
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 02:11:31 PM »
I hope this make me see like I am smart asking this, but I totally can see it making me look ________ on the other side of it...

Lets say I have a Detail Sheet. That has detail blocks in it with an xref Title Block. The file size is 2MB. Details are in model space and title block is in paper space.

I detach the title block xref and save the Detail Sheet. The file size is still 2MB.

I then, WBLOCK out the details in modelspace to a new drawing. The file size is about 250KB. (cool.)

I then xref the same title block into the wblock dwg. Save the file and the file size is 2MB.

I go one step further, I wblock out the title block which has a size of 70KB. I xref that into the wblock details and save the file. The file size is 2MB.

Am I missing something here? I did this test on my workstation, detached from the network and reconfigured CAD by removing my app data stuff. (So very similar to a new install).

Thanks for any feedback... Just trying to understand.

Also, anyone using Civil3D2016 have their purge dialog box appear very very slowly / delayed?

you sure seem to be having a lot of these, "Why are my files so freakin uuuuuge?" questions lately.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
Yup, I think we applied a patch a few weeks ago for our feature lines issue. and trinkeling down to now, its taking forever to open these files... its just weird.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
Yup, I think we applied a patch a few weeks ago for our feature lines issue. and trinkeling down to now, its taking forever to open these files... its just weird.
so it would appear the network file fix really wasn't the fix you thought it was
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »
yup... its our Civil3D2016. I am getting the same results on a LAB workstation as I am getting on my workstation.... I know the 360 service had issues. did that ever get back up and running smoothly?
Civil3D 2020

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »
Inspect the drawing with MP's code.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC