Author Topic: Loading DWGs from ZIPs with password-protection?  (Read 2691 times)

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
Loading DWGs from ZIPs with password-protection?
« on: August 08, 2016, 04:03:38 AM »
Are there some (recommended) features / workaround / 3rd party tools which integrate the handling of ZIP files, especially load DWGs from password protected ZIPs?

Thanks for advices

Edit:
There is a similar thread here:
https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=37416.msg424406#msg424406

But it is from 2011, and maybe there is something new ....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:20:42 AM by Peter2 »
Peter

AutoCAD Map 3D 2023 German (so some technical terms will be badly retranslated to English)
BricsCAD V23

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Loading DWGs from ZIPs with password-protection?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 10:05:53 AM »
Are there some (recommended) features / workaround / 3rd party tools which integrate the handling of ZIP files, especially load DWGs from password protected ZIPs?

Thanks for advices

Edit:

Just unzip them to a project specific folder and be done with them.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 11:50:23 AM »
The deeper background of my question is

"How to (more or less simple) protect a group of drawings, delivered for usage as block-definition with an app, against simple copying and stealing"

Idea a) Password protection:
Problem a: The creation is no more supported since Acad 2016 - soon it will be totally dead.
Problem b: The handling within Lisp is not a standard feature (current Googling shows me some half working routines)

Idea b) Packing into a password protected ZIP:
Extract them via Lisp code incl. the hidden password. That's the reason for the question here.

Idea c) Some 3rd party stuff:
Maybe has to be checked later ...
Peter

AutoCAD Map 3D 2023 German (so some technical terms will be badly retranslated to English)
BricsCAD V23

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:04:44 PM »
If your goal is to protect DWG files, there really isn't a way. At best you can certify a drawing so that changes render it un-certified. However, you can extract blocks from that certified file without modifying the status...

Rule of thumb is don't send anything out you can't or don't want to share. Explode or burst (if dynamic / attrib) blocks prior to eTransmit.

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 12:18:06 PM »
...there really isn't a way. ...
I know, and this is why I used the word "simple" in my posting. Nevertheless I lock my bike and my door, although there is no absolute security  ;-)

As said above, the drawings are part of an app and are a kind of symbol-library. The client can use and insert and modify it, but we want to avoid that client A just need to mail the package to his friend: "Hey guy, there is a nice and free library for you." So I'm looking for a (simple ..) obstacle - just like locking the door.
Peter

BricsCAD V23

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
And once they find that they can't update the blocks beyond whatever interface you provide (far more likely they want to re-use their existing block library), they'll look for another product.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:18:47 PM »
perhaps host the blocks on your web server, and force them to download through design center....

not exactly user friendly, nor would it stop someone from downloading them all and then sharing them with others.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 05:19:38 AM »

Thanks for advices

Edit:

After searching around I found some threads relating this topic, but the conclusion seem to be:

The problem is that the object (Shell.Application) I used in the script below doesn't allow using passwords. So, you cannot modify it to accomplish the task you need.
Other postings and MSDN are not talking about password (relating to Shell.Application and CopyHere) or recommend 3-party (7z and so on...)
Peter

BricsCAD V23

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:27:04 AM »
The last post in the thread you have linked to gives a JScript solution that uses 7-Zip. Have you tried translating this to Lisp? Seems doable. Or don't you want to use 7-Zip?

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
Yes, now I use DosLib and 7za.exe (standalone) to do it, and it works fine. Only in continuation of the linked solutions above I tried to find a pure Windows solution, but it shows the current result. I'm happy with 7z ...
Peter

BricsCAD V23