Author Topic: Revit Object/Material tags, best practices?  (Read 904 times)

tedg

• Swamp Rat
Revit Object/Material tags, best practices?
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:23:26 am »
This is more of a question on what's the best way to create and tag items in a Revit model when you want to distinguish special conditions.

Specifically for me, I'm talking about structural framing members (and tags), but this question can apply to other Revit content.

In the past when I've had "existing" framing and "proposed" framing in a Revit model, we label them differently on the plans to distinguish the difference.
We use an "(e)" and the end of the call out for existing, I have literally created (copied and renamed) "existing" framing members.

So there would be duplicate framing members in the model such as "W8X24" and "W8X24 (e)"
The existing framing members the tag would show "W8X24 (e)" and new/proposed members would show as "W8X24".
Is there a better way to do something like that?

Another thought would be to just add another parameter to the structural framing tag to call out the "Type Tag" or "Type Comment".
So in the "existing" members would just have an "(e)" in one of those fields and would show up on the tag. I tested this and it seems to work.

You don't have duplicate members in this case, but you need to add text to a field per member.
Also, I get a warning about "more than one member having the same type tag", so I don't know if that's the best way to do that.

Do any of you have any idea(s) on how you would do this, or other suggestions?

Thanks
Windows 7 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2017, REVIT 2017, Inventor Professional 2015

rvhwlc

• Newt
Re: Revit Object/Material tags, best practices?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:53:05 am »
the best way is to use Phases or Design Options.. that way you can control things much easier. you can create a new instance based shared project parameter, text only and apply it to all steel members and make sure your tag has it. You can schedule all framing by phase, so if it's in an existing phase it'll grab it, and you can apply this parameter all at once to ensure you don't miss it. now when you tag it'l show (e) on all existing and won't show anything on all other framing..

use Design Options when you have proposed alternates. or especially if you're using a new framing member in same place as an old one.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 08:13:29 am »
I agree about the phasing; that's the way you are supposed to work. Remember, Revit isn't all about producing plans, it's about how others can use your information. -i.e. If your model were used in a VCD (Virtual Construction Document) you might be in a bit of hot water. I'm having a bit of a hard time at my new company because they tend to think of Revit like AutoCAD (a tool for only producing a set of plans) and there are pipes and ducts all over the place (most are drawn at 5'-10' AFF). ...Think about how others are viewing your data; when I link in your model I do not see text, lines or anything else besides phasing, design options, and object properties/classifications. Show me what you mean by using proper types and setups.

After you establish good families based on good types, you can get a very good system for tagging and displaying things the way you want very quickly. Tags, filters, and whatnot are very powerful.

To give you an example, I am mechanical and I have a family I use for duct and pipe penetrations struct and arch can isolate in their models which will show the penetration sizes (like a sleeve family). They can use a simple filter to turn these on for coordination. 30 seconds more work for me helps several people on the team save a bunch of time and makes things very clear for them of what I expect.
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:50 am »
Thanks that helps.
We are using phases, existing, demolition and proposed and so I think this will work great once I figure out how to do it.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:29:52 am »
You'll get it. :) Ask any questions you have and we'll do our best to help.

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 12:48:31 pm »
You'll get it. :) Ask any questions you have and we'll do our best to help.

Ok can someone talk me through this? It's a bit over my head.

I tried adding a project, shared instance parameter.
I used "tags" as a name (added it to the parameter file).

I selected "Phasing" under group paramter, and structural framing as the category.
Then I tried adding that to the beam label, but I'm sure this is wrong, and I am definitely missing something big.

I was able to schedule all the framing members in the "existing" phase (fwiw)

:(

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 02:05:13 pm »
So you just want to be able to tag new and existing framing differently??  Like this?

http://autode.sk/2bjgs9Y

And you can easily schedule elements based on whatever phases you have in the model.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 10:33:42 am »
So you just want to be able to tag new and existing framing differently??  Like this?

http://autode.sk/2bjgs9Y

And you can easily schedule elements based on whatever phases you have in the model.
Hey Matt,
Sorry for the late reply..
I just started to get back into this and have been kicking around ideas.

I was able to make a different "Existing" framing tag family.
Your example seems to show an "existing" label within the same OOTB beam label family, how are you controlling the difference between standard and existing within the same family?

I tried creating an "existing" subfamily but when editing the tag with an "(e)" suffix, it puts them in all those (standard, boxed, existing).

I'm sure I'm missing something.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 11:34:22 am »
The typical method is to use simple yes/no parameters to control the visibility of a few labels. Attached is a (very) quick demonstration. Note: this method still requires the end-user to have to choose the correct "family type" of tag they want to use (regardless of the phase the object is in).

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 12:13:09 pm »
The typical method is to use simple yes/no parameters to control the visibility of a few labels. Attached is a (very) quick demonstration. Note: this method still requires the end-user to have to choose the correct "family type" of tag they want to use (regardless of the phase the object is in).
Thanks, I will check this out.

(update)
Thanks John, that will work well.
I'm still trying to figure out how to link it to the "existing" phase, but my head hurts.

This is great for now, thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:32:21 am by tedg »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 12:58:38 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out how to link it to the "existing" phase, but my head hurts.

And this is a new experience for you?  This thinking thing??     :-o :woow:

:tongue2:
I learned my lessons ... SLOWLY ~ Unknown

=   =   =  ACA 2015, Revit Arch 2015 & 16 Navisworks Manage 2015 & 16 on 64bit on Win7P  =   =   =   =

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 01:51:09 pm »
And this is a new experience for you?  This thinking thing??     :o :woow:

:tongue2:
Small doses Krush.. small doses.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 01:58:31 pm »

(update)

You cannot "link it" -i.e. the process (of labeling new v existing) is entirely manual. :(

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 03:46:01 pm »

(update)

You cannot "link it" -i.e. the process (of labeling new v existing) is entirely manual. :(

Yea, I'm sort of figuring that out, I was hoping I could find some way where it "knew" it was created in the existing phase by some built in parameter, and tag accordingly.
(versus simply selecting the proper tag to label them with)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 03:53:59 pm »
It knows when itself was installed but the tags "don't care when the thing was installed" -i.e. the available parameters in tags don't have anything to do with time only size, color, height, etc. (okay, enough quotes).

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »
Yea, I'm sort of figuring that out, I was hoping I could find some way where it "knew" it was created in the existing phase by some built in parameter, and tag accordingly.
(versus simply selecting the proper tag to label them with)
you can do this but not in way you want to... use views instead..

have two views, one view showing existing phase, the other showing new phase.. use tag all on both views, using proper tag. copy/paste into your sheet and all is good..