Author Topic: LOST FILES  (Read 1025 times)

csgoh

• Newt
LOST FILES
« on: July 23, 2016, 03:52:54 AM »
In my lisp files, I use "startapp myprog.exe" as part of my codes whereby it creates some files into the C: directory.
In the old OS before Windows XP, the files are created and I can search for it using explorer.
However in Windows 7x64 and above , I could not locate the files in the C: directory. How can I locate where the files have been written?
Thanks

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
Re: LOST FILES
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 04:41:22 AM »
Do you know the names of these files? Have you got the source code for that "myprog.exe" program you're running?

You can try to search on file creation/modification date/time. E.g. http://superuser.com/questions/488251/how-to-search-for-files-modified-after-a-particular-time

However, I'm guessing those file were never created by your "myprog.exe". That's because Microsoft has changed a lot of security settings since XP (and even thereafter), and not just any user can create any file in any folder anymore. Especially if it's trying to just make new files in the C:'s root folder (and some special system folders like C:\Windows or C:\Program Files) the user level needs to be administrator. Else Windows simply disallows the program run under that user account from making those files.

What happens if you run that program manually? Any sort of message popping up? Try running it in a CMD window (i.e. as if you're starting a DOS command http://pcsupport.about.com/od/commandlinereference/f/open-command-prompt.htm) - this should display any sort of such "errors" as text messages in that same CMD window.

You may have to configure Windows such that your usual username is given administrative rights. HOWEVER (VERY IMPORTANT) this is a major route for viruses to infect your computer. Probably the biggest reason why Microsoft has made such drastic user access levels in the first place. So giving your username such admin rights is a very bad security failure. You should by preference change that myprog.exe such that it creates these files in a more "safe" folder (e.g. somewhere like your My Documents folder instead).
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.