Author Topic: Directional Drilling  (Read 2674 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Directional Drilling
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:48:34 PM »
What are the limitations on entry, and exit angles for directional drills?

Not so much a Civil 3D related question, as I already use Profiles drawn using Tangents and Curves to represent my directional drills. I'm posting this here, as I was hoping to get some good ole' fashioned design expertise! Haha

Here in Florida, it's been my experience working as a designer, and field inspector for lengthy drilling projects, that directionally drilled/bored HDPE connects to a PVC main via 11.25 degree bend (along with reducer, megalugs, etc. as needed).

My Engineer for this project insists that I specify 45 degree bends - I just cannot see a drilling machine elevate, and maintain that angle for the entirety of a +/-1,000 FT drill, let alone elevating the pipe at the other end in order to even pull it back through - if your experience is different, or you have documentation that would educate me otherwise, please let me know?

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
Re: Directional Drilling
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »
my solution to situations like this...if he's signing...relax, and don't care muahahahahha

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »
http://rebar.ecn.purdue.edu/Trenchless/secondpage/Content/HDD.htm

Key Data:

The pilot hole is drilled with a surface-launched rig with an inclined carriage, typically adjusted at an angle of 8 to 18 degrees with the ground for entrance and 8 to 12 degrees for exit angle

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:00:52 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sybold

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 03:10:05 PM »
the pilot pipes is the limit of the radius, if the pipe being installed is pe or pvc, with a steel pipe the installed pipe may be the limiting factor for the radius of the drilling curve.
entry/exit angles is determined by the limits of the drill-rig.

45 degree is possible, but only with a special rig setup. the pilot is not much of a problem. the pull-in operation will be a bigger challenge.

for some more information you can visit this http://www.vshanabdrilling.com , or ask ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:17:24 PM by sybold »

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 08:26:47 PM »
Alternately maybe open pit the final 45-degree connections...would mean you'd have to pull back the rig a considerable distance though....guessing there's no room...never is room :/  This would be a case where'd I definitely ask my "engineer" to get a contractor who does the crap involved.