Author Topic: Switch between Icon only .resx files  (Read 1846 times)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Switch between Icon only .resx files
« on: May 15, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »
I'm attempting (not very well at the moment) to get my project's Ribbon icons to correctly update based on the current theme in AutoCAD...light vs dark. I understand how this is done when using a CUIx to define the commands and ribbons items. However, we create our ribbon in code and I do not want to have to do something like this:
Code - C#: [Select]
  1. //in my Initialization code
  2. public static bool darkTheme = (Application.GetVariable("COLORTHEME") == 0);
  4. //then set that as needed in a SystemeVariableChanged event handler.
  5. //all images are in the same Resource file
  6. //And then in my ribbon button code this:
  7.             rb = new RibbonButton();
  8.             rb.Image = darkTheme ? MyApp.flattenobjects_small.ToBitmapImageFromPng() : MyApp.flattenobjects_small_light.ToBitmapImageFromPng();
  9.             rb.LargeImage = darkTheme ? MyApp.flattenobjects.ToBitmapImageFromPng() : MyApp.flattenobjects_light.ToBitmapImageFromPng();

On the surface this looks workable, except there are 200+ buttons with more being added. I would far prefer to do something like so:
Code - C#: [Select]
  1. //have 2 resource files, MyAppDark.resx and MyAppLight.resx, where the icons have the same names, but are the different icons.
  2. //have a MyApp variable which can be set to the correct one to reference in the SystemeVariableChanged event handler
  3. if(Application.GetVariable("COLORTHEME") == 0
  4.    MyApp = MyAppDark;
  5. else
  6.    MyApp = MyAppLight;
  8. //then my ribbon buttons can simply be:
  9.             rb = new RibbonButton();
  10.             rb.Image = MyApp.flattenobjects_small.ToBitmapImageFromPng();
  11.             rb.LargeImage = MyApp.flattenobjects.ToBitmapImageFromPng();

Where I'm stumped is at what I need to initialize MyApp as...can I simply do this?:
public static object MyApp = MyAppDark;

If so, I'm at a loss as to how to do so, because that doesn't work...

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
Re: Switch between Icon only .resx files
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
Jeff, I really think there was an article on this on the official boards that pointed to a blog post and to a swamp page.  I don't have it now but will look it up and share later.  I'm mobile right now.
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 03:25:29 PM »
Thanks, Keith. I did find a few blog posts, including one that pointed back to the Swamp, but they all deal with the CUIx approach. I want to avoid using the CUIx due to the inability to enable/disable ribbon buttons on the fly. We use this method to allow/disallow use of buttons depending on which module was purchased. It worked well until the dual color theme was introduced.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 06:19:07 PM »
Thanks, Keith. I did find a few blog posts, including one that pointed back to the Swamp, but they all deal with the CUIx approach. I want to avoid using the CUIx due to the inability to enable/disable ribbon buttons on the fly. We use this method to allow/disallow use of buttons depending on which module was purchased. It worked well until the dual color theme was introduced.

Creating a complete CUIx, or a CUIx for each module aside (admittedly a loaded task) - why can't you 'enable/disable buttons on the fly'?

If you create the CUIx, you assign the necessary Ribbon ID(s), and can then find the necessary RibbonButton and disable, no?

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »
Where I'm stumped is at what I need to initialize MyApp as...can I simply do this?:
public static object MyApp = MyAppDark;

If so, I'm at a loss as to how to do so, because that doesn't work...

If MyAppDark and MyAppLight implemented a common interface, or inherited from the same base class, or both, then you'd declare the MyApp variable as that interface or base type.
Bobby C. Jones