Author Topic: Civil 3D | Residential Gradings  (Read 7066 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Civil 3D | Residential Gradings
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »
Is there a way for a Grading to target a Feature Line/Polyline, rather than distance, etc.?

I have a lot of lots that are either radial to Alignment curvature, or perhaps irregular (non-rectangular) shapes, but do not see a way to create a Grading by selecting a closed Feature Line either - yes, I could just add Feature Lines to a residential block's Surface as Breaklines, but if I'm going to use Gradings, I'd like to use them consistently (which doesn't seem to be possible; hoping I'm wrong).

TIA
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Civil 3D | Residential Gradings
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 01:00:04 PM »
Well, it appears that after an AUDIT, I am able to create an infill grading between the irregular Feature lines (at pad elevation), and the surrounding R/W, lot lines, etc. *shrugs*

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 09:54:18 AM »
Currently, if I have an Infill Grading for the finished floor of a lot pad, and an Infill Grading for the surrounding lot, and either perform a stepped-offset for the pad (we grade to 8" below finished floor), or add a rear lot swale, etc. via Breakline(s), the automatic Surface (created by Grading group) has a hole in it or doesn't 'fill' to the extents of the lot anymore. :-(

Is there a setting that would allow me to automagically 'split' an Infill Grading when a Breakline is added? :?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:05:29 AM by BlackBox »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:07:26 AM »
Currently, if I have an Infill Grading for the finished floor of a lot pad, and an Infill Grading for the surrounding lot, and either perform a stepped-offset for the pad (we grade to 8" below finished floor), or add a rear lot swale, etc. via Breakline(s), the automatic Surface (created by Grading group) has a hole in it or doesn't 'fill' to the extents of the lot anymore. :-(

Is there a setting that would allow me to automagically 'split' an Infill Grading when a Breakline is added? :?
nope sorry....

best is to perform all grading to 'design' then wherever no grading is defined create infills...

I covered this in an AU class years ago... and thanks to the terrible development cycle for C3D that material remains true still today.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
best is to perform all grading to 'design' then wherever no grading is defined create infills...

Not sure that I follow; could you clarify?

I covered this in an AU class years ago...

You wouldn't happen to have a specific year, or course title, etc. that I can search for, would you?

Cheers

BlackBox

• King Gator

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:08:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing... For Residential grading, we usually start of with profile and alignments and have an assembly that we extend to the back of the lots. then grading objects to detail them out. But we do use the infill as you guys where talking about.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 11:12:42 AM »
Thanks for sharing... For Residential grading, we usually start of with profile and alignments and have an assembly that we extend to the back of the lots. then grading objects to detail them out. But we do use the infill as you guys where talking about.

I covered those methods at same AU in a class called advanced corridor design concepts or similar.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »
I covered those methods at same AU in a class called advanced corridor design concepts or similar.

Thanks, MJF - I'll see what I can dig up.

Separately, is there any particular reason that only some Infill Gradings will NOT be included in the resultant automatic Surface?

Single Site, single Grading Group - just added a rear lot swale (Feature Line), and a new Infill for each new 'blank' space in my lot grading surface. Two of the five are included in the surface (all added in the same single pass). The highlighted line is the automatic surface boundary for this block's Site.

AUDIT + RECOVER have been done, with no errors found, restarted C3D 2016, etc.

There's an Infill for each the pad (1' above highest lot elevation), the 0.10 gap between the pad and pad offset (8" lower than pad), an Infill for the rest of the lot which I 'cut' with that rear lot swale Feature Line (6" lower than rear lot line), that I am now 'filling': (see image)

TIA

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 11:06:34 PM »

Thanks, MJF - I'll see what I can dig up.

Separately, is there any particular reason that only some Infill Gradings will NOT be included in the resultant automatic Surface?

Single Site, single Grading Group - just added a rear lot swale (Feature Line), and a new Infill for each new 'blank' space in my lot grading surface. Two of the five are included in the surface (all added in the same single pass). The highlighted line is the automatic surface boundary for this block's Site.

AUDIT + RECOVER have been done, with no errors found, restarted C3D 2016, etc.

There's an Infill for each the pad (1' above highest lot elevation), the 0.10 gap between the pad and pad offset (8" lower than pad), an Infill for the rest of the lot which I 'cut' with that rear lot swale Feature Line (6" lower than rear lot line), that I am now 'filling': (see image)

TIA

Holy cheezwiz batman... are agencies / builders requiring such detail that requires that intricate of a surface out there?

Dinosaur

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:05 PM »
Holy cheezwiz batman... are agencies / builders requiring such detail that requires that intricate of a surface out there?
Was kind of wondering that myself although the way things were progressing when I left that life behind about 8 years ago, it would not surprise me.  We couldn't even detail those gradings with any confidence until lots were sold and excavation was starting back in the day.  We were still lucky to not be forced to redesign the whole thing because the rough graders found solid rock 3 feet deep when were about ready to submit for final approval.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 01:00:21 AM »
Maybe it's regional; all of our projects are like this down here in Florida, in order to get SWFWMD and/or ACOE approval.

My residential projects usually include two types of lots:

Those adjacent a storm water management area (pond, or lake), grade 1% up from R/W to mid lot, then back down 1-2% to rear lot line, with a finished floor 1' above the higher mid lot grade.

The other being away from any pond/lake, which grades 1% up from R/W to half of the rear setback distance (10' rear setback == 5' rear lot swale flow line), then 6" up from the rear lot swale to the actual rear lot line, and then daylight a out to existing surface. The finished floor being 1' above the higher rear lot swale elevation.

There are other types of lot grading, as I'm sure most of you well know, but this is pretty common down here (at least for where I work).

For earthwork estimating, we generally assume a building pad to be the size of the building setback envelope (rarely do I have a finished product to place in my plans; just footprints usually) - most projects are 20' front (with 10' Public utility easement), 10' rear, and 3-6' sides depending on applicable zoning code -  less an 8" thick concrete pad.

Not sure what he earthwork is going to be for this particular project yet (still grading the site, modifying for drainage, etc), but my other recent residential project was in the 1.2M CY of net cut, which the client ended up requiring I drop the 1,000 AC site to reduce down to 700K CY of net cut, using this same methodology - usable fill is at a premium down here (not sure about up North?), but if you don't have a buyer, it costs you more to move the dirt than it's worth.

What sort of site grading do you do for your projects?

Cheers

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »
the projects I am involved in of late, we try to achieve a site balance, as buying or selling dirt isn't always that easy

Most of the sites are dairies, or other agricultural facilities, surprisingly they are quite detailed due to environmental permitting requirements
and the desire to not buy or sell dirt.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »
... down here in Florida ...

What sort of site grading do you do for your projects?
No need to elaborate further ... your main problem is to generate enough slope to generate meaningful grading ... small  wonder useable fill is such a desirable commodity down there.  Our battle in Kansas City was the opposite.  Nearly every project was mostly graded to 3 - 4 percent for streets and whatever it took in the back lots to get a ten inch storm worth of rain into the pipes ASAP.  Storm sewer systems were complex and constantly changing throughout the design which affected street design and sometimes even lot layout if low points moved too much.  There is a huge lot premium here for lots that accommodate walkout basements.  Developers tagged those very early on and every effort was made to add on or at least not lose any. 
With all that going on the final grading, while being part of the plans, was more a culmination of results from the final design rather than an engineered element.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 10:06:46 PM »

Perhaps this?

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?163007-CV419-1-AutoCAD%C2%AE-Civil-3D%C2%AE-Beyond-the-Back-of-Curb