Author Topic: Delay Attaching Xrefs  (Read 1598 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Delay Attaching Xrefs
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »
This is just a general question. Why does it take so long to attach drawings via xref's? I guess what is it doing in the background as its loading it into model space? (Sorry I know its a dumb question).
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Delay Attaching Xrefs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »
some of that could depend on

attachment type - overlay vs attachment

and XLOAD variable setting

as well is indexctl settings

and the state of your network/server
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:23:49 AM »
There could be a number of reasons. File size, nested references, hatches, etc. A lean cleaned up file loads pretty much instantly.
CAD Tech

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:38:54 AM »
Interesting... So there would be a difference of "performance" between a Overlay and an Attachment? I am not sure about the XLOAD command, Can't get it to come up. But the INDEXCTL is at 3.

I do see differences between purged drawings and ones that are just huge in size.

The other thing I have noticed as well, with Civil3D and the template we use (Styles etc.) versus just a basic ACAD.dwt. Big Differences in loading.
Civil3D 2020

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
The xref may be polluted with one of the three main pollutants these days.... Scale entries, Regapps, and DGN linetype bloat.

We have a nice little reactor that reports the time it takes to load xrefs so over time, I've learned what to expect in terms of time it takes to load them.
When a polluted one comes along, the increase of time is usually obvious.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »
Interesting... So there would be a difference of "performance" between a Overlay and an Attachment? I am not sure about the XLOAD command, Can't get it to come up. But the INDEXCTL is at 3.

I do see differences between purged drawings and ones that are just huge in size.

The other thing I have noticed as well, with Civil3D and the template we use (Styles etc.) versus just a basic ACAD.dwt. Big Differences in loading.

for clarity  XLOADCTL

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/