Author Topic: Civil 3D | Where Do You Label What?  (Read 17386 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Re: Civil 3D | Where Do You Label What?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 04:17:20 PM »
Jeff,
We are doing it the exact way you are saying. If that is the "best performance" for production; then we are good to go.
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 05:59:13 PM »
It's not my job to teach them....

Thanks, Jeff; that last bit particularly resonates with me here.

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 10:41:37 PM »
What do you all do for profiles themselves?  That's the one file I keep together. We label all our utilities in it then xref them into "cut" sheets.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 08:48:45 AM »
Regardless of using Plan Production Tools, or not, I'm curious to know how others work in terms of where you label your sheet drawings.

Explain 'label' please. A screen shot will work too perhaps. :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 08:51:51 AM »
To me, label means a "Civil 3D Label" that attaches its self to a 3D Object. I know we sometimes label street names, and easement descriptions in a our base but the text is usually not annotative.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 08:54:52 AM »
To me, label means a "Civil 3D Label" that attaches its self to a 3D Object. I know we sometimes label street names, and easement descriptions in a our base but the text is usually not annotative.
why would it not be annotative?  and or a C3D label?   Street name from alignment, easements from their parcel...etc
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 08:59:14 AM »
To me, label means a "Civil 3D Label" that attaches its self to a 3D Object.
Then how do you put those in your sheets? Sorry i'm confused. :-/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 09:28:46 AM »
To me, label means a "Civil 3D Label" that attaches its self to a 3D Object.
Then how do you put those in your sheets? Sorry i'm confused. :-/

Drefs.. for some data, and or the actual data like profiles/pipes are in the 'sheet' files and dref'ed back to the design...IF I was following correctly.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
Regardless of using Plan Production Tools, or not, I'm curious to know how others work in terms of where you label your sheet drawings.

'Labeling' a sheet, includes any annotation entities, such as Civil 3D Labels, MLeaders, MText/Text, Blocks, etc., used to call out everything you'd need for a given plan set, which might include:

Lot numbers, ponds/lakes, street names, utilities, structure numbers, structure data, [pavement/lot/misc] grades, finished floor elevations, existing structures/buildings/monuments, R/W, easements, property IDs, lane widths, sidewalks, signage, etc.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
What do you all do for profiles themselves?  That's the one file I keep together. We label all our utilities in it then xref them into "cut" sheets.

I've always had a hard time with Profiles (as in Profile Views) - mostly due to pipe networks.

I get compartmentalization, so it makes sense to design the pipe networks in a separate drawing, and DREF them where you need.

Problem is you layout the 'water main' pipe network in a drawing named UP01 (Utility Plan). You DREF that pipe network into your 'base' (plan) drawing, because you need to XREF that in other sheets where it should show up, if not for design purposes. You also DREF that pipe network into your profile (profile view) drawing, because you at minimum need label it for your sheet.

You now have duplicate DREFs, both of which are synced at drawing open... Yes, you can NOT DREF it into the 'base' drawing, but then you cannot use it for design purposes, AND you're now required to DREF it into each-and-every-single sheet drawing, which means you cannot Edit it in plan, or profile.

To that end, it doesn't make sense to have the pipe network in its own drawing, when you could instead just do the plan and profile layout within the profile drawing itself, and DREF as needed. There, you now have the ability to properly design the utility in a single drawing, that is used directly in the plan sheets via XREF.

Now, I only label the pipe network in Profile View (to be XREFed), and with the XREF in the sheet drawing, I can then label the XREF pipe network as needed.

Drefs.. for some data, and or the actual data like profiles/pipes are in the 'sheet' files and dref'ed back to the design...IF I was following correctly.

The prospect of designing a single pipe network across multiple sheet drawings, is terrifying.

Never mind the inherent requirement to match pipe elevations with each adjacent sheet, but to DREF that back into the design, just means that each sheet drawing now has both the actual pipe network, and every other pipe network to sync, utterly defeating the purpose of designing the pipe network (segment?) in the sheet from the outset, no?

... Or do you cut up the 'design' (or base?) into each sheet as well?  :-D

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »

'Labeling' a sheet, includes any annotation entities, such as Civil 3D Labels, MLeaders, MText/Text, Blocks, etc., used to call out everything you'd need for a given plan set, which might include:

Lot numbers, ponds/lakes, street names, utilities, structure numbers, structure data, [pavement/lot/misc] grades, finished floor elevations, existing structures/buildings/monuments, R/W, easements, property IDs, lane widths, sidewalks, signage, etc.
Okay, thanks. We are on the same page. I only label my sheets too.

I am curious though, how do you keep your C3D labels from not appearing in your base files?

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »

I am curious though, how do you keep your C3D labels from not appearing in your base files?

Glad to hear it, Mark; thanks.

As for the last part, not sure that I follow? :? Can you clarify?

[Edit] - The labels are in the sheets, save Parcels, etc. which reside on no-plot layer, so I can 'Label' them within the sheet.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 10:01:33 AM »

Glad to hear it, Mark; thanks.

As for the last part, not sure that I follow? :? Can you clarify?

Testing now! LOL

[Edit] - The labels are in the sheets, save Parcels, etc. which reside on no-plot layer, so I can 'Label' them within the sheet.
That is what i was talking about. So you just layers for the C3D labels.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 10:17:40 AM »

Historically, I strive to keep my 'base' drawings as line work only - I do usually have some annotation entities in there, as design info, but usually frozen, and not intended for-plot.

Parcels are not able to be DREF, but by making the Parcel labels no-plot, you can Label them within each sheet, by adding the Parcel Area Label, then Label the Parcel Segments, etc. like you might for a Plat, as example.

Setting aside the topic of managing Styles across myriad drawings, Civil 3D does make it easy to quickly 'label' most everything in a given plan sheet.

What I do not want to do (as my coworkers insist on doing via MText,etc.), is Label lots, roads, pipes, and structures, etc. within the 'base'... Hope that makes more sense?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »

1) Historically, I strive to keep my 'base' drawings as line work only - I do usually have some annotation entities in there, as design info, but usually frozen, and not intended for-plot.

Parcels are not able to be DREF, but by making the Parcel labels no-plot, you can Label them within each sheet, by adding the Parcel Area Label, then Label the Parcel Segments, etc. like you might for a Plat, as example.

Setting aside the topic of managing Styles across myriad drawings, Civil 3D does make it easy to quickly 'label' most everything in a given plan sheet.

2)What I do not want to do (as my coworkers insist on doing via MText,etc.), is Label lots, roads, pipes, and structures, etc. within the 'base'... Hope that makes more sense?
1. Same here! Base drawings should be nice and clean at all times. :)

2. That is to bad. Once upon a time (ACAD 14 days) I would have done the same thing. Tell your coworkers to leave the dark side. LOL