Author Topic: Civil 3D | Where Do You Label What?  (Read 17623 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Civil 3D | Where Do You Label What?
« on: April 20, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »
Regardless of using Plan Production Tools, or not, I'm curious to know how others work in terms of where you label your sheet drawings.

The reason I'm asking -

I've always labeled within the sheets I'm labeling, save some no-plot design info in my 'master' line work XREFs, which seems consistent with the PPT workflow (which I do not use currently). Some folks here at my office prefer to instead label everything in the applicable 'master', and just XREF that, relying on a Layer State for each sheet drawing.

The problem is, that we frequently need to share CAD (line work and text) with consultants, and the 'label in each sheet' methodology doesn't work in Civil 3D. 

Back in LDD, we'd simply INSERT+EXPLODE the 'sheets' we were needing to send out, and maybe clean up some labels that overlapped at match lines, etc. If you try that in Civil 3D, with myriad DREF labels, etc. you end up with a bunch of duplicate DREFs. :idiot2:

So... for those of you who have to share your data (line work and labels) with consultants, what approach do you use?
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Re: Civil 3D | Where Do You Label What?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:46:08 PM »
I think this is based upon how the department was first setup. At my previous firm; we tried to limit the amounts of editing we had to do. So we used most of our labels in our base files. Our base files were not just 2D but also had the vertical(s) in it.

Where I am at currently, bigger firm, so they like all the labels in sheets. It is a lot more difficult, but at least you do have some control on how to show something and with over posting text.

Just some thoughts...
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »
IF you are 'only' sharing linework (big base file), where the labels are doesn't matter.
As you can either delete them all before you send the file out (export to autocad) - DON'T SAVE that file!  On exit
Or delete them after in the autocad version.

If they are using C3D let them deal with your labels, or delete them - DON'T SAVE that file!  On exit
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 07:17:58 PM »
BB...get more people on your team and keep doing what you're doing :) Show them why "per sheet" kicks booty...when 4-peeps cranking out a set of plans...no one can complain. When 1 person has the entire labeling step hostage...everyone should.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:20:54 AM »
Label everything within the sheet.
I've even tried cheating and leaving some road/big property labels in the base file, but I've ended up needing to move/rotate for some random sheet and it's just not worth the headache.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 09:25:20 AM »
BB...get more people on your team and keep doing what you're doing :) Show them why "per sheet" kicks booty...when 4-peeps cranking out a set of plans...no one can complain. When 1 person has the entire labeling step hostage...everyone should.

He does have a great point.
Civil3D 2020

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 07:25:03 AM »
Label everything within the sheet.
I've even tried cheating and leaving some road/big property labels in the base file, but I've ended up needing to move/rotate for some random sheet and it's just not worth the headache.

what he said..  except for profiles
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »
See with us and profiles, we have been doing the design in where the 3D Data is sourced from. Then data reference / shortcut it to a plan and profile sheet, where we detail them up.

What do you guys do?
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 12:49:58 PM »
Thanks guys; I appreciate the confirmation. :-)

My ONLY reservations about continuing to label within the sheets, are the implicit task of combining everything for sendout - mostly because Civil 3D isn't smart enough to know that if I COPY+PASTE an Object's Labels from one drawing to another, that both reference the same DREF, to NOT produce a duplicate DREF (1), DREF (2), DREF (3), etc. - the other issue being internal whining.

This office is a small outfit, and so far, suggesting we consider different workflows (like NOT exploding Profile Views? :-o) has been akin to p!ssing in someone's tea... So I have to pick my battles.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 01:34:24 PM »
I forgot to mention. When we send out our files. We EXPORT them to 2013 DWG. File size is low and it works for our clients too. Plus, they don't get our styles and stuff.
Civil3D 2020

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »
If someone needs the model, I will send them the design files. If they want the sheets, too, they get exported to Autocad files or pdf's. I never combine labeled drawings with the design/base drawings...just asking for trouble doing that. And if it's a consultant that needs to work on the project as if they were in our office, I will eTransmit the whole shebang, include the Shortcuts folder, and hope they know how to use it. It's not my job to teach them....

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 03:07:42 PM »
Wow... Jeff, I will second that. Great advice.

So what we are talking about; labeling objects, is a good practice? I know we are not talking about xref'ing versus data shortcutting or referencing.
Civil3D 2020

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
Yes, in my opinion, all labels belong in the sheet files. Most of the reasons why have already been mentioned. One other that I don't recall seeing here is that labels take processing power to populate. If you have all the labels in the base/design file, then each and every sheet must wait for all those labels to be populated. And those calculations occur with every REGEN. Keeping just those labels necessary for the specific sheet speeds up that process.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 04:01:26 PM »
If you were to have a big topo with spot shots in our base, would that be the same concept? (Cogo point Labels)?
Civil3D 2020

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 04:09:54 PM »
OK, no, a topo should typically be fully contained in one drawing with the surface on a unique layer & DataShortcut. What I was talking about are for production drawings, and I usually will not need to move around labels in my topo for use in those drawings. There may be exceptions to this, but I've never had a need to do it any other way.