Author Topic: Civil 3D 2017 | New Features  (Read 14878 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Civil 3D 2017 | New Features
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 10:58:09 AM »
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 11:10:05 AM »
2013-2016 can go either direction, with a few object exceptions I can't recall at the moment. I know they made the choice to break compatibility at this release because AutoCAD was supposed to go to a new DWG format as well. However, the new DWG format has been slower to implement than was planned so 2017 kept the 2013 dwg format...thus leaving the C3D team with their new features that can not be made to work within the constraints of the 2013-2016 C3D code. People want things to get better with C3D, yet when they get it they complain about not being able to go backwards. I can't use the alternator from my 2013 F-150 on my 1998 F-150, should I complain to Ford about not being backwards compatible?
I dunno, I have some old bullets that work just fine in a new gun, and some old guns that use new bullets just fine....lets compare apples to strawberries shall we?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »
The loss of compability seem overwhelmingly commercial. Shake the money tree! Especially for those  you have to work with revit for some civil structures. Each year from now the same story or will 2018 like we used to with dwg?
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »
who the hell ever knows with Autodesk, other than IF it forces ones decision to upgrade and or increases their revenue stream, well then that will most likely be what they do
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2016, 12:07:33 AM »
Told my boss that 2018 was likely going to be a new dwg type and likely not backward compatible (we are still using 2014)... he basically told me to give Autodesk the bird lol... followed with (you can also tell them we aren't upgrading until 2020) haha....sucks because we're at 2014 still but nothing has convinced us upgrading is worth anything.  Our production pipeline (with 70 or so constant cad users) doesn't need the 3 or 4 items they focus on every year :(

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 07:06:28 AM »
Quote from: Area51Visitor
.... we're at 2014 still but nothing has convinced us upgrading is worth anything. 

As long as you don't have to work for others who are using a newer version, you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do have to work for or with others who jump on the new versions and then everyone has to upgrade, or deal with the pain of not doing so.
Yeah, either way is painful actually...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 08:45:36 AM »
Told my boss that 2018 was likely going to be a new dwg type and likely not backward compatible (we are still using 2014)... he basically told me to give Autodesk the bird lol... followed with (you can also tell them we aren't upgrading until 2020) haha....sucks because we're at 2014 still but nothing has convinced us upgrading is worth anything.  Our production pipeline (with 70 or so constant cad users) doesn't need the 3 or 4 items they focus on every year :(

More people, and companies need to send this message very loudly to their vendor, and or Autodesk directly.
The development pipeline and lack of response to problematic features or functions within Civil 3d should be an embarrassment to Autodesk.

All of the crapply label functions and or lack of function in gravity pipes alone should cause every programmer/developer at Autodesk to quit in shame
over their total failure.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2016, 09:16:29 AM »

More people, and companies need to send this message very loudly to their vendor, and or Autodesk directly.
The development pipeline and lack of response to problematic features or functions within Civil 3d should be an embarrassment to Autodesk.

All of the crapply label functions and or lack of function in gravity pipes alone should cause every programmer/developer at Autodesk to quit in shame

Autodesk be like....

Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »
They would be crying, if 20% of there customers told them to stuff their latest 'upgrade' and cancelled their subscriptions.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »

Autodesk be like....

LMAO ..........
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »
They would be crying, if 20% of there customers told them to stuff their latest 'upgrade' and cancelled their subscriptions.

True, but they know that will never happen. Not even 0.02%

Planned obsolescence

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 09:40:04 AM »

Planned obsolescence
Precisely.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 09:41:41 AM »

Planned obsolescence
yeah, except the NEW stuff isn't any different or better than the 'obsolete' stuff.
perhaps you should reevaluate your understanding of the term?

totally different than Forced path to Upgrade
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »
I literally LMAO'd bahahahhahaha

Autodesk be like....

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »
Quote from: Area51Visitor
.... we're at 2014 still but nothing has convinced us upgrading is worth anything. 

As long as you don't have to work for others who are using a newer version, you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do have to work for or with others who jump on the new versions and then everyone has to upgrade, or deal with the pain of not doing so.
Yeah, either way is painful actually...

And as long as you aren't looking at an update to OS, or potentially rolling out 4K/UHD monitors.  While you might be able to fudge an older piece of software onto a new OS or hardware there are no guarantees.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}