Author Topic: Pipe Network Display | Self-Intersecting Alignment?  (Read 7189 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Pipe Network Display | Self-Intersecting Alignment?
« on: April 08, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
Is there any way to show pipes in Profile View correctly, without breaking the Alignment into two separate Alignments? :-(

TIA
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Pipe Network Display | Self-Intersecting Alignment?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »
Is there any way to show pipes in Profile View correctly, without breaking the Alignment into two separate Alignments? :-(

TIA

You talking about breaking the pipe at match lines?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »

TIA

You talking about breaking the pipe at match lines?

That may well work; never thought to do that before, and it will probably fix the labeling issue when less than half of a storm pipe is shown (the label is out of Profile View scope)! Haha

Thank you, MJF!

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:40:17 AM »
Black Box...can you shoot a screen shot... I've not run into this but am curious what it is...might help with my own production.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 03:53:28 PM »
Loosely related to this topic, so I am just posting this here, in lieu of a new thread.

Not sure about y'all, but my Profile Views frequently extend beyond a shown station range (in plan view), in order to fill up a plan and profile sheet's 'range'.

As example:  A subdivision road ends with a cul-de-sac, the center of which is at STA 30+61.68, so I'll extend my Profile View to STA 32+00 (filling the sheet).

Problem is that I need to show through daylight (from R/W grading down to existing grade), and the surface sample ends at the end of the Alignment - which itself ends at the center of the cul-de-sac - another aspect to this, is that Pipe Network parts will not draw in Profile View, unless the Alignment is 'over' them (i.e., needing to be extended).

Same holds true for 'T' intersections as well, where I end up having to extend beyond the point of intersection for the two Alignments.

It looks 'cleaner' to have the Alignments terminate at the center of cul-de-sac, and centerline intersection respectively, but what other option is there besides having duplicate Alignments - as in, DREF the Alignments into plan base drawing, and DREF+Promote in Profile View drawings, where the Profiles are drawn, and create a DREF for Profiles only?

Cheers

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:01:48 PM »
all the way back to land desktop to avoid this

MAKE  the profiles longer

set start station as you desire....hide negative labels if they bother you
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 04:13:40 PM »
all the way back to land desktop to avoid this

MAKE  the profiles longer

set start station as you desire....hide negative labels if they bother you

Just to confirm - you can successfully draw a crossing pipe in Profile View, who's parent Alignment stops +/- 20 FT before the would-be Pipe+Alignment intersection?

'Cause that's not working here... In order for that Pipe to show in Profile View, the Alignment seemingly MUST litterally intersect the Pipe (at the Pipe elevation I need to show, even if it is an offset from the parent Alignment; think sanitary services connected to sewer mainline, etc.).

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
agggh....I totally mis-typed

make the ALIGNMENT(s) longer

sometime that is the only way certain features will ever show up in a profile anywhere in the plan set.

so sorry for the confusion....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
He is right. That is what we do. Totally get it.
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 09:15:56 AM »

No worries, MJF. :beer:

So I just did an experiment -

I have an Alignment in my plan base (clean stop at intersections, etc.), DREF that into my profile base, promote it, extended it, and then draw a quick profile to create a Data Shortcut of that.

Data Shortcuts show two alignments of same name, the second of which has the profile, which means having duplicate alignments in each-and-every-single drawing I need to label anything related to profile (the latter alignment having a no-plot style, as if it is no-display, I cannot select it for station offset labels, profile grade labels, etc.). Grrrr

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »

No worries, MJF. :beer:

So I just did an experiment -

I have an Alignment in my plan base (clean stop at intersections, etc.), DREF that into my profile base, promote it, extended it, and then draw a quick profile to create a Data Shortcut of that.

Data Shortcuts show two alignments of same name, the second of which has the profile, which means having duplicate alignments in each-and-every-single drawing I need to label anything related to profile (the latter alignment having a no-plot style, as if it is no-display, I cannot select it for station offset labels, profile grade labels, etc.). Grrrr

Then don't do it that way...I have ALWAYS literally, drawn all my alignments LONGER than 'needed'  for just such purposes.

One Alignment as long as is required, technically that means it extends past both the start AND the stop point of the road, ditch, off ramp whatever.
One DREF of that....leave it that way.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 09:43:38 AM »
Then don't do it that way...I have ALWAYS literally, drawn all my alignments LONGER than 'needed'  for just such purposes.

One Alignment as long as is required, technically that means it extends past both the start AND the stop point of the road, ditch, off ramp whatever.

Yes ... I fought that throughout the early C3D years and this was the only method we could get to work.  It left a huge mess of unwanted labels as a bonus.  Only solution was to just hide the extras.  Am not sure if that hide label function survived after r2008 but would be a massive loss if not.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 10:13:42 AM »

Yes ... I fought that throughout the early C3D years and this was the only method we could get to work.  It left a huge mess of unwanted labels as a bonus.  Only solution was to just hide the extras.  Am not sure if that hide label function survived after r2008 but would be a massive loss if not.

OR

CTRL+Click to select individual labels and DELETE the unwanted ones

or another trick
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 10:20:01 AM »
OR

CTRL+Click to select individual labels and DELETE the unwanted ones

or another trick
We could be discussing the same function as well as I can remember.  Has been a long time since I was the barking dog

sljohnson

• Newt
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 02:06:54 PM »
Regarding T intersections, the intersection wizard doesn't like it when the secondary street doesn't terminate as the point of intersection.

He's what I did recently to show the extend surface beyond my design alignments. I created a "shadow" alignment that extends beyond my design alignment that lives only in my production drawings. I have the style set so that it doesn't plot and it is very important that the design and shadow alignments have matching stationing. I created surface profiles for just the extended portions of the surface I wanted to show on my sheets. I then copied my profile view style and altered it so that it was mostly unlabeled and the labels I did keep didn't plot. I laid this 'overlay' profile view directly over my design alignment's profile view after adjusting the station and elevation ranges to match.

When I used to overlay to show the extended surface profile, I only put the pipe networks in the 'overlay' profile view so that the network parts that extended beyond the design alignment would show up. I only when though this mess when I wanted to show the surface beyond my design profile.

How much are folks making use of the intersection wizard? I let it do its thing during most of the deign phase while things are still shifting because it locks the profiles together at the intersections. Once things are pretty much set, I work from critical points and take over the design profiles the wizard created. I review and revise each intersection so that they modeled the way we want them for the construction plans, mostly just fine tuning. Merlin the intersection wizard is not, though it does like bird baths.