Author Topic: Profile Layout | Curve Settings Ignored?  (Read 3009 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Profile Layout | Curve Settings Ignored?
« on: April 07, 2016, 02:28:20 PM »
Drawing multiple Profiles (directional bores) using 'tangents and curves' after setting the Radius Property in Curve Settings according to the diameter pipe's minimum bend radius... but the radius specified is not being used.

In some cases, I can go into the Profile's Grid View and manually change the Radius... Others I get cannot be solved, and have to re-shape/extend the 'down' line lengths to accommodate the desired curve.

Is there any way to FORCE the radius specified in Curve Settings? :?
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Profile Layout | Curve Settings Ignored?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 03:08:41 PM »
for profiles, right?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 03:11:15 PM »
This may or may not be related to FIXED versus FREE entities....

confirm that your geometry is FREE
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
Yes, sorry - drawing Profiles in Profile View that represent top of pipe for directional bores/drills.

How does one determine Free or not?  I usually just select the Profile View, and create a new Profile for each bore via contextual profile layout tools button.

Cheers

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 06:37:39 PM »
BB, I don't recall ever having an issue with the curve settings not being honored, except when the desired curve could not be created due to insufficient tangent length...i.e. overlapping curves.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 08:54:21 AM »
Yes, sorry - drawing Profiles in Profile View that represent top of pipe for directional bores/drills.

How does one determine Free or not?  I usually just select the Profile View, and create a new Profile for each bore via contextual profile layout tools button.

Cheers

You will see FREE or CONSTRAINED in the  Profile Editing Vista....

And or you must specify FREE, or FIXED, previously ALL geometry was FREE unless one 'FIXED' somewhere along the way they changed that....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »
BB, I don't recall ever having an issue with the curve settings not being honored, except when the desired curve could not be created due to insufficient tangent length...i.e. overlapping curves.

That must be what's happening, but there's no warning symbol, or command line output to indicate that 'violation', which leaves user the redundant task of checking each-and-every-single Profile for accuracy.

The larger issue to my mind, is that Curves that _are_ drilled in the field are not 'able to be created' in Profile form... It's not like the drilling machine starts their Curve +/- 8 FT above the ground. *just saying*  :-D

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »

Cheers

You will see FREE or CONSTRAINED in the  Profile Editing Vista....

And or you must specify FREE, or FIXED, previously ALL geometry was FREE unless one 'FIXED' somewhere along the way they changed that....

Had to tinker with PVI vs Entity in vista, 'Drawing Tangents With Curves' is PVI-based, and so appears to be FIXED.