Author Topic: Keep the stool in the middle of the table  (Read 10026 times)

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
Keep the stool in the middle of the table
« on: April 07, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »
I'm working through, converting our furniture library into dynamic blocks.  we have a standard dressing table symbol that is a rectangle for the table and a circle for the stool in front of it.

I've set all of this up no problem, and created a stretch action to make the table width variable.  I've even managed to make the attribute adjust itself to the width of the table!!

What I've not been able to do, though, is make the stool move so that it stays centred on the table.

The block's attached, any hints would be greatly appreciated.

dJE
===
dJE

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Keep the stool in the middle of the table
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 09:11:17 AM »
suggest a 'symmetrical' constraint on the stool

*EDIT*
 A dimensional constraint will also work see block below
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:33:25 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Nibster

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »
modify the move action to ".5" in the Distance Multiplier field of that action's properties.  The move action being associated with the parameter that controls the length of that side is the correct way.

Nibster

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 09:28:09 AM »
you associated the move action with the wrong end of the linear parameter.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »
see attached
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Nibster

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
suggest a 'symmetrical' constraint on the stool

*EDIT*
 A dimensional constraint will also work see block below
I agree, there's many ways to skin your prey.  However, there's also rarely anything more frustrating than doing the proper steps and not knowing why it doesn't work.  I appreciate when I am shown where my errors lay. 

Have to admit I shot off my first post without looking at the attached block and that I got to edit it to make it look like I did.  Otherwise I would have addressed the grip association issue then.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:20:50 AM »
did you review my block?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Nibster

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »
modify the move action to ".5" in the Distance Multiplier field of that action's properties.  The move action being associated with the parameter that controls the length of that side is the correct way.

This is how I would approach it also (see attached example).

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 04:02:43 AM »
Just got in this morning (had to work late last night so didn't review the thread before leaving the office as I'd intended) and read the thread, thank you everybody (thank everybody?) for your contributions and suggestions.

I am half way through a properly reply which I'll have to finish over lunch but for now thankyou all.

dJE
===
dJE

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 08:35:42 AM »
As promised, a full response to the thread, including what I hope is a clear step-by-step guide:

did you review my block?

I have done now, thankyou.  I'd read somewhere that action grips and constraints don't play well together, although that doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.  I think for simplicity's sake a move action's the way to go now, but it's certainly something I'll try to remember for more complicated geometry.

I agree, there's many ways to skin your prey.  However, there's also rarely anything more frustrating than doing the proper steps and not knowing why it doesn't work.  I appreciate when I am shown where my errors lay. 

Have to admit I shot off my first post without looking at the attached block and that I got to edit it to make it look like I did.  Otherwise I would have addressed the grip association issue then.

I must admit I'm still not 100% what I was doing wrong but I've managed to edit Lee's block to reproduce it, and edited my block to also work properly, so I must've been missing a click somewhere.

While I was trying to search the web for how to do this, I found a lot of replies that were along the lines of "set the distance multiplier to 0.5" and just left it at that.  In an effort to help the next person who has this problem, a complete step by step guide:
1) Add linear parameter;
2) Set the linear parameter to Chain Actions=Yes and adjust the number of grips as desired;
3) Add a stretch action to the linear parameter;
4) Add a move action:
4a) Select your linear parameter;
4b) Select the endpoint of the linear parameter;
4c) Select objects to move;
5) Select the move action and set the Distance Multiplier to 0.5;
6) Test the block
6a) If it doesn't work curse loudly and repeat from step 4;
6b) If it does work pat yourself on the back proudly :)
===
dJE

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »
I have done now, thankyou.  I'd read somewhere that action grips and constraints don't play well together, although that doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.  I think for simplicity's sake a move action's the way to go now, but it's certainly something I'll try to remember for more complicated geometry.

Properly constrained they will work together, otherwise expect unexpected results.

Glad you got it worked out.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Nibster

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 03:34:12 PM »

I must admit I'm still not 100% what I was doing wrong but I've managed to edit Lee's block to reproduce it, and edited my block to also work properly, so I must've been missing a click somewhere.

you associated the move action with the wrong end of the linear parameter.
When I changed the linear parameter in your original block to have 2 grips, your move action worked perfectly when using the previously inaccessible grip.