Author Topic: Bash Win10 all you like  (Read 1195 times)

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
Bash Win10 all you like
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:19:02 am »
or rather, use bash as a shell inside Win10 thsi summer.  Nix is coming to a desktop near you
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Atook

• Swamp Rat
Re: Bash Win10 all you like
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:24:42 pm »
I'd love to see it combined with an SSH server so I could SSH into windows boxes like I can w/ Linux.

And while I'm in the magical world of unicorns, I'd love to see a nice implementation similar RDP (not X Window or VNC) on Linux.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:35:04 pm »
or rather, use bash as a shell inside Win10 thsi summer.  Nix is coming to a desktop near you
need more info. :)

There are a few unix shells that have been ported to Windows.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:37:41 pm »
need more info. :)

There are a few unix shells that have been ported to Windows.

Here you go.
https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=16/03/31/0221233
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

Tuoni

• Gator
  • A programmer in a previous life
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:13:08 pm »
My MS-stack sysop friend was incredibly excited by this!

Let's face it; WINNT has been more POSIX-compliant than Linux for quite some time.

Master_Shake

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 08:12:24 am »
ehhh not entirely a useful feature. Neat sure, but meh. Windows essentially killed off the command line in Windows 7 and with each progression since 7 and their transition to app-centric enviroments, I can't think of any use for this beyond simply typing

"ssh ip:port - options" instead of "putty.exe -ssh -options"

Master_Shake

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 08:20:49 am »
Also what *nix specific programs run command line only while using a GUI?

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 08:30:32 am »
ehhh not entirely a useful feature. Neat sure, but meh. Windows essentially killed off the command line in Windows 7 and with each progression since 7 and their transition to app-centric enviroments, I can't think of any use for this beyond simply typing

For you. I use the command line every--all--day on both Windows and Unix.

o Git.
o vim.
o File Managment.
o Scripting.

Heck, I'm even typing this reply in a command line Vim session.

Also what *nix specific programs run command line only while using a GUI?
Very confusing question. ...none? :? If it's a CLI only program it's not going to have a GUI.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 08:36:59 am »
Did you guys see of this stuff?
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html

So, running as root with the ability to mnt the windows slice...*facepalm* MS better sandbox this thing somehow.

Master_Shake

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 09:05:53 am »

For you. I use the command line every--all--day on both Windows and Unix.

o Git.
o vim.
o File Managment.
o Scripting.

Heck, I'm even typing this reply in a command line Vim session.

Git, VIM and scripting comprises a very small user-base for windows, so small in fact I would wager that the % this will benefit will be less than .1% (based on MS numbers of 110m Win10 installs that's 110,000 people). I say that even with the IDC estimating there are 11m "programmers" in the world.

Two of those four programs listed are personal preference, not a necessity. GIT/SVN have numerous gui alternatives built upon the base cli utility and VIM has plenty of competition with GUI specific editors (talking base VIM, not heavily modified) like VS, Notepad++, and the likes.

Scripting ill give to you as there isn't any real way to run .bats other than in the cli.

I don't see how the resources spent on bringing this to fruition will ever pay off for MS.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 09:27:49 am »
Git, VIM and scripting comprises a very small user-base for windows, so small in fact I would wager that the % this will benefit will be less than .1% (based on MS numbers of 110m Win10 installs that's 110,000 people). I say that even with the IDC estimating there are 11m "programmers" in the world.

Two of those four programs listed are personal preference, not a necessity. GIT/SVN have numerous gui alternatives built upon the base cli utility and VIM has plenty of competition with GUI specific editors (talking base VIM, not heavily modified) like VS, Notepad++, and the likes.

In the MS ecosystem, I agree; no one likes to type. But my point was, not everyone uses a GUI for everything. And apparently, studies have shown that that mindset may be changing.

Finally, I imagine some of you -- long time Windows and Ubuntu users alike -- are still wondering, perhaps, "Why?!?"  Having dedicated most of the past two decades of my career to free and open source software, this is an almost surreal endorsement by Microsoft on the importance of open source to developers.  Indeed, what a fantastic opportunity to bridge the world of free and open source technology directly into any Windows 10 desktop on the planet.  And what a wonderful vector into learning and using more Ubuntu and Linux in public clouds like Azure.  From Microsoft's perspective, a variety of surveys and user studies have pointed to bash and Linux tools -- very specifically, Ubuntu -- be available in Windows, and without resource-heavy full virtualization.
ref: http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html

Okay, now you're just trying to be mean! Vim has no competitors; only followers.  ...but seriously, Vim isn't for everybody I understand that (I was only saying `for me'). ...When Mark got me started on Vim, he and I spoke on the phone and told me where to get it and how to start the tutorial. I took the time to do that and I was hooked from there on. And, yes, my Vim is heavily modified--normally, people only keep a "vimrc" but I keep a "vimrc" and "gvimrc" to load the GUI stuff only for when I need it. I created several color schemes, countless plugins. But I digress, Theo (OpenBSD creator) had a really great quote I like. Maybe it will help explain my mindset (and a growing number of others from the looks of it).

Quote from: Theo de Raadt
The world doesn't live off jam and fancy perfumes - it lives off bread and meat and potatoes. Nothing changes. All the big fancy stuff is sloppy stuff that crashes. I don't need dancing baloney - I need stuff that works. That's not as pretty, and just as hard.

Master_Shake

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 09:42:47 am »
I respect that, just seems backwards to appeal to a small sub-set of people who have already developed their own solutions during the years that MS was trying to distance itself from the *nix offerings.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 10:04:39 am »
That 'distancing thing' is shrinking quickly.

What seems weird to me is that they choose Linux over Unix (especially OpenBSD). It seems MS has been taking notes from the OpenBSD guys recently (well, in the grand scheme of things, that is). For example the "new" exploit mitigation stuff is all "old hat" stuff for the OpenBSD guys. And MS just became an OpenBSD "gold-level" supporter for the SSH stuff. ...I'm sure the Linux stuff has been in the works for a very long time by some subset-of-a-department in Microsoft. The whole thing seems a little goofy to me too and, honestly, I think it offers a bigger target for bad stuff.