Author Topic: Pipe Style Hatch  (Read 4723 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Pipe Style Hatch
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »
I've setup two Pipe Styles for Water Mains - Water Main, and Water Main Restrained.

The former just shows centerline, and outer walls (no plot layer) in plan, and the inner walls in profile.

The latter shows centerline, outer walls (no plot layer), and hatch (same no plot layer) in plan, and the inner walls, and hatch (both on "0" layer) in profile.

Problem is, when I XREF the drawing with the Pipe Network, the hatch in plan actually plots, despite being assigned to the same no plot layer as the outer walls. The outer walls do not plot, and the assigned layer is set to no plot in the current drawing.

The Pipe Style allows for different assignments in Plan, and Profile... What am I missing?
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Pipe Style Hatch
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »
version please...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »
also is your XREF assigned to it's own special layer?

and would suggest nothing be on layer zero (0)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »
version please...

also is your XREF assigned to it's own special layer?

XREF Layer

and would suggest nothing be on layer zero (0)

https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=46874.0;nowap

[Edit] - I don't want to create that many Styles, where each Style's components are Layer-dependent... Too many unpurgable layers, too many Styles needed to label all of the same things (with different layer dependencies), and too much time spent maintaining them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:03:51 PM by BlackBox »

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
Turning off the hatch display in plan, and changing the outer walls color seems to be sufficient... Everything in Profile still works, and I can still visually determine which pipe segment is which in CAD, without affecting the plan view plot output.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »
yes, I know I said 'starting with everything on layer 0 is a good starting point"  after that not really
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »
yes, I know I said 'starting with everything on layer 0 is a good starting point"  after that not really

I get the pickle Autodesk provided, and am not here to argue which methodology to use, nor the inherent trade offs.

Fact is - assigning a no plot layer to the hatch display in plan, and a non-"0" plot layer to hatch display in profile (in lieu of "0" layer), doesn't fix the issue. The hatch in plan still plots, regardless of assigned layer's plot status.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 03:17:10 PM »

I get the pickle Autodesk provided, and am not here to argue which methodology to use, nor the inherent trade offs.

Fact is - assigning a no plot layer to the hatch display in plan, and a non-"0" plot layer to hatch display in profile (in lieu of "0" layer), doesn't fix the issue. The hatch in plan still plots, regardless of assigned layer's plot status.

Hmm, I don't know that I've observed that particular behavior as we do this with Grading Markers, on their own NO-PLOT layer and they indeed do not plot...
However all the other stuff about our grading objects are also on their own layer NOT 0.

I will look closer at pipes- pipe hatches and see what shakes out.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 03:38:20 PM »
well looks like yet another thing they botched up....just when I was thinking I knew all the reasons to dislike autodesk programmers...along comes another one.

Thanks for that... :evil:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »
Stupid Question by an curious architectural CADder:
What is definition for each and where would you used one over the other? 

I've setup two Pipe Styles for Water Mains - Water Main, and Water Main Restrained.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »

I would guess.  the water main is normal water pipe...

the restrained, is unique to a particular location that requires being restrained so it doesn't blow apart do to pressure, and or deflection angles
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 04:00:11 PM »

I would guess.  the water main is normal water pipe...

the restrained, is unique to a particular location that requires being restrained so it doesn't blow apart do to pressure, and or deflection angles

Correct.

More specifically - given a test pressure, depth of bury, trench type, soil type, and safety factor, we must restrain each nominal pipe size, at each pipe connection (i.e., horizontal bend, vertical bend down, vertical bend up, reducer, tee, valve/dead end, etc.) a specific length. 

See this for reference: http://rlc.ebaa.com/calculator.php

We have different requirements for water mains vs force mains, and I'm using Pipe Styles to handle the hatching of the restrained pipes automagically... Whereas my - *cough* hourly *cough* - coworkers still draw the top of pipe, bottom of pipe, and hatch manually. :whistling:

The only need I have in plan view, as we plot this as single line regardless of being restrained or not, is to be able to visual distinguish which is which for MATCHPROP, measuring lengths, verifying horizontal separation from other utilities, etc. for design purposes.

HTH

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
Thought so but never heard it called that.   In my teenager years I worked as a labor for two summers for an excavation contractor that did a lot of pipe in the road.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 06:31:23 PM »
My word selection of 'restrained' simply refers to the pipe joints adjacent to any fitting that would require same, thrust blocks, etc. but it's something that is commonly abbreviated by 'RJ' as well.

As example: 250 LF 12" DR-18, C-900 PVC WM RJ