Author Topic: Xref - Loading Startup  (Read 5911 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Xref - Loading Startup
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »
Yup.  Lets leave something in place which could royally screw over the data in a Civil3D file.  Sure.  Makes sense.  Then the users can complain how that was screwed up instead.  Or users can attempt to understand that things are done for a reason other than to annoy them. :tickedoff:
OR....
They could make is so it works with all their products without screwing anything up OR annoying their users....

.......yeah, but that might just make too much sense, and NOT annoy anyone

so let's not do that, OK?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »
Yup.  Lets leave something in place which could royally screw over the data in a Civil3D file.  Sure.  Makes sense.  Then the users can complain how that was screwed up instead.  Or users can attempt to understand that things are done for a reason other than to annoy them. :tickedoff:

Well, I certainly don't want that either, as I'm sure you already knew.

Never worked in vanilla AutoCAD before, so I've just never used Partial Open - never needed to in Land Desktop, as it opened drawings as quickly as AutoCAD thanks to external DB.

I'll start looking into this more, merely so I can make useful reports to the development team elsewhere, but methinks this may be originating from the internal DB from the outset. *speculation*

What I would like to see from this, as they're never going to backtrack to an external DB again (which is a shame, IMO; would be much easier to manage Styles, etc. across directories of drawings), is to allow demand loading of XREFs that do not provide AEC Objects that are currently being  referenced - Station Offset labels from an XREF Alignment, as example.

Not sure; just feel that there's an achievable interim from nothing at all. *shrugs* Haha
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 03:07:30 PM »
I might be able to help with some number benches. Usually we data reference our pipe networks and surfaces into a sheet file. All of the existing information and title blocks, proposed base are xref'd into the sheet.

So a basic load time with everything in there is 50 seconds. If I unload all the xref's I can load the drawing in 20 seconds.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 03:26:46 PM »
I might be able to help with some number benches. Usually we data reference our pipe networks and surfaces into a sheet file. All of the existing information and title blocks, proposed base are xref'd into the sheet.

So a basic load time with everything in there is 50 seconds. If I unload all the xref's I can load the drawing in 20 seconds.

wondering what those load times would look like on anything approaching a minimum specification workstation?  (not that anyone should be operating on one)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »
Wonder what those load times would look like following an EXPORTTOAUTOCAD (keeping the C3D drawings for future changes + subsequent EXPORTTOAUTOCAD)..? :evil:
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
Wonder what those load times would look like following an EXPORTTOAUTOCAD (keeping the C3D drawings for future changes + subsequent EXPORTTOAUTOCAD)..? :evil:
you like your drawings big and bloated, don'tcha?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 05:31:25 PM »
I did export some of my 2D base files that are xrefd in and the time difference is about 10 seconds. I think by doing that, it stripped all the styles etc. out. But still it did speed it up somewhat.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
I did export some of my 2D base files that are xrefd in and the time difference is about 10 seconds. I think by doing that, it stripped all the styles etc. out. But still it did speed it up somewhat.
that's just great, so the solution is to not use civil 3d...awesome!   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »
Lol. No faster machines and networks!!! That might be the issue. I wonder what types of setups they use to test there software out besides us testing it for them...
Civil3D 2020

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »
If it's a one time thing, you could move the parent drawing to a different drive or location so that the Xrefs cannot be found.
If they are saved with a full path, using drive letters, you could disconnect the drive letter.
In other words, temporarily make it where AutoCAD cannot find the xrefs.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 07:36:04 AM »
Again, that was my thought if there is some sort of reactor or routine once the file is opening it would could unload the xrefs as its loading the rest of the drawings.
Civil3D 2020

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 07:50:54 AM »
Wouldn't the XREFs need to be loaded in order to get unloaded? Sounds like it might actually take longer.

I think you would need to unload them at save.

Again, no matter what you do it's gonna be a headache for someone. What would you do at printing time? I would hate to have to reload every XREF every time I printed. I guess it would not be a big deal if it were only a sheet or two, but when I print it is hardly ever just a couple sheets.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 12:28:53 PM »
This is one of those areas that has a knock on effect of MAP not working with Civil Objects.
Otherwise one would not need to deal with this issue.

Attach file as source, query in only what you wanted to work on, and be done with it.

However one can't do this, because MAP and C3D simply do not play together, even though they are
living inside each other as it were.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell