Author Topic: Pipe Networks & Labels  (Read 16540 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Pipe Networks & Labels
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2016, 12:15:07 AM »
Is there a way to take the pipe and structure labels in plan and profile, and reassociate them in-place to another pipe network?

As example: Alignment Station Offset Labels, can be reassociate S to a different Alignment, Profile, etc.

When I DREF a Pipe Network into a drawing, the structures do not retain their rotation in the Source drawing. I'd rather just XREF the source drawing, and reassociate the labels to the XREFed Pipe Network, without having to add all of the Labels, and position them for plot again from scratch.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2016, 01:30:31 PM »
Is there a way to take the pipe and structure labels in plan and profile, and reassociate them in-place to another pipe network?

As example: Alignment Station Offset Labels, can be reassociate S to a different Alignment, Profile, etc.

When I DREF a Pipe Network into a drawing, the structures do not retain their rotation in the Source drawing. I'd rather just XREF the source drawing, and reassociate the labels to the XREFed Pipe Network, without having to add all of the Labels, and position them for plot again from scratch.

Cheers
That would be nice.
I've found it best to use ATTACH instead of OVERLAY. Seems like you lose C3D connections when using overlay.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2016, 03:53:35 PM »

Cheers
That would be nice.
I've found it best to use ATTACH instead of OVERLAY. Seems like you lose C3D connections when using overlay.

Thanks, Alan.

Aside from just the Labels - which I've not even begun to peruse in the .NET API, apart from this a while ago - I'd ideally like to see 'Demote to DREF'  functionality be implemented, where the Object is replaced by a DREF in-place, and any related plan/profile/section Labels were 'transferred' to the now DREF object(s), so that the Labels would retain their layer, color, drag/location, etc. :lol: *wishful thinking*

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »

Cheers
That would be nice.

Thanks, Alan.

Aside from just the Labels - which I've not even begun to peruse in the .NET API, apart from this a while ago - I'd ideally like to see 'Demote to DREF'  functionality be implemented, where the Object is replaced by a DREF in-place, and any related plan/profile/section Labels were 'transferred' to the now DREF object(s), so that the Labels would retain their layer, color, drag/location, etc. :lol: *wishful thinking*

Cheers
Good god yes.
Actually, if dref structure styles would update and custom fields weren't so temperamental, I couldn't totally live with the functionality of pipe networks.
I did run into an annoying situation the other day where I was regrading an area in my corridor file, when it crashed. Thinking about saving time, I went and grabbed the autosave file and overwrote my corridor file. I've gotten in the habit of having a separate FG surface file that I dref in different surfaces, and from there I paste together for one overall. Thankfully I do this because when I opened the FG surface file to rerun my cut/fill calcs, it wouldn't display the corridor surface. I had to delete the surface dref, open the corridor file and recreate the shortcut, then re-dref it back in my FG surface file. I know it has to do with the code string at the end of the xml shortcut file.
Thankfully I only had to fix one file, because my overall FG surface is referenced to all files that I actually use for production.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox