Author Topic: Pipe Networks & Labels  (Read 16597 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Pipe Networks & Labels
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »
also on that...IF autodesk had remained committed to "consistency" across the interface, even pipes would posses more styles and would have incorporated label sets....

but they really dropped the ball on that, in those areas....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »
They did -

It's painfully apparent when adding multiple Pipe Networks to a Profile View, and all of the labels come in on the same layer, despite each Pipe Network having Pipe/Structure layer settings.

The issue earlier in this thread about Structure Label placement - which as it happens, has a workaround (thanks again, Jeff!), but even that still has issues if you move the Profile View. The 'pinning' is in WCS, and not relative to the Profile View?!

The issue not discussed here, of Pipe Label placement - Center of Pipe only - really?! Where's Pipe Top/Bottom? Never mind the redundant issue of dragged state leader attachment to pipe.

Don't even get me started on Direction Drills/Bores - just finished multiple miles of a Water extension project, and ended up having to use  Profiles by Tangent and Curves via HDPE radii in Curve Settings for top of pipes.

Casings? Don't even bother.

Pipe materials, and sizes? Painfully inadequate... Seriously, you didn't include 16 PVC? :-o

Pressure Pipes? In Ductile Iron only? See previous. Even after you take the time away from billable work to setup the myriad materials, classes, pressure ratings, radii, pipe walls, etc. via Content Catalog Editor, Civil 3D doesn't properly recognize them.

... All of which I'm working to address with the product teams, some of which have been accepted to-date, so don't go holding your breath, though. :-) Haha

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 04:10:25 PM »

The issue not discussed here, of Pipe Label placement - Center of Pipe only - really?! Where's Pipe Top/Bottom? Never mind the redundant issue of dragged state leader attachment to pipe.

Actually I think I did mention POOR and or inadequate selection for pipe label attachment location(s) in another similar topic...

What frustrates me most...is that some people think ALL I am want to do is criticize autodesk, yet the fact is the deficiencies, failings, etc. that I speak of are REAL and persistent.
And not just something I make up, or invent as being problematic...

IF

autodesk would fix only 33% of the junk, users would be THRILLED to pay their subscription fees every stinking year.  THRILLED  I tell you!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
Actually I think I did mention POOR and or inadequate selection for pipe label attachment location(s) in another similar topic...

I'm certain that I'm redundantly stating observations others have had for years - more collating them for my use later in the beta forums. :-D Haha

IF

autodesk would fix only 33% of the junk, users would be THRILLED to pay their subscription fees every stinking year.  THRILLED  I tell you!

Strewth.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »

But I like to bother! Casing pipe

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
I've also used BIG Pies for casings...in a similar fashion.

No one here has ever asked about them. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2016, 05:39:03 PM »

But I like to bother! Casing pipe

... A Pipe raincoat, on your Pipe.

#Strewth

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2016, 02:06:38 PM »
I have to be overlooking this somewhere - where do I find the ADDLABELS Command settings, to set 'Save command changes to settings' == YES...? :-(

It's the most annoying thing in the world for the ADDLABELS dialog (Annotate tab, Labels & Tables panel, Add Labels button) to remember my last used Pipe & Structure Label Style selections, and not the 'Feature' nor 'Label type'.

Cheers

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2016, 02:21:46 PM »
I have to be overlooking this somewhere - where do I find the ADDLABELS Command settings, to set 'Save command changes to settings' == YES...? :-(

It's the most annoying thing in the world for the ADDLABELS dialog (Annotate tab, Labels & Tables panel, Add Labels button) to remember my last used Pipe & Structure Label Style selections, and not the 'Feature' nor 'Label type'.

Cheers

Ambient settings...General three down from top
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »

Cheers

Ambient settings...General three down from top

... No joy.

Even after that setting is changed to YES, The ADDLABELS dialog still defaults to Note for 'Feature' and Note for 'Label type'... As that's how it's set in the template used to create this drawing, and will be rectified once I get this to work, of course.

Separately, is there a way to 'push' settings into multiple drawings, or is one natively relegated to opening each-and-every-single drawing, and manually importing same?

If the latter, then I'll probably just drop a small snippet of LISP in AcadDoc.lsp to do this for me; again, once I figure out how to get this to work.

Cheers

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »
one could set a template...

import and explode the drawings you want to have the new settings/styles in

save as>>>back to their old name
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »
one could set a template...

import and explode the drawings you want to have the new settings/styles in

save as>>>back to their old name

That setting has no affect on the ADDLABELS dialog in my drawing.

Nor did it have any affect in a new drawing on first run, based on this change to one of my templates, which is kind of the purpose of settings (to have an affect).

I've already said that I'll fix this in our templates... But I need it to actually work, before I go making myriad changes.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »
That AddLabels dialog is one the most annoying dialogs in C3D. It ALWAYS does as you describe, BB, no settings that I have ever found control it.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 03:52:24 PM »
BB, check out the SPAddLabels command...it helps, a lot, with this.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 04:08:26 PM »
That AddLabels dialog is one the most annoying dialogs in C3D. It ALWAYS does as you describe, BB, no settings that I have ever found control it.

Thanks for confirming.

BB, check out the SPAddLabels command...it helps, a lot, with this.

Doh - It's right next to PIPEELEVATIONEDITOR Command button, too! :oops:

Email sent. :-)

Cheers