Author Topic: How do I Share a hard drive across Home Wi-Fi network  (Read 915 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
How do I Share a hard drive across Home Wi-Fi network
« on: March 08, 2016, 12:13:16 pm »
GIZMAG:  How to share a hard drive across your Wi-Fi network

Will this work all kinds of devices and OS?   

As for home devices I have, Windows Laptop, 2 Androids and 5 Apples that access the WiFi.  That is not counting any smart devices like the TV I just bought and do not how to use anything other than cable.   I do not want to set up desk and a permanent computer because it neglected in so many ways.    So I need a storage solution that is easy for all devices and user ability to interact with.  I already have a 1tb WD external drive and I hope I can use that instead of buying new.

Suggestions of links to read are always welcome.   :-)
I learned my lessons ... SLOWLY ~ Unknown

=   =   =  ACA 2015, Revit Arch 2015 & 16 Navisworks Manage 2015 & 16 on 64bit on Win7P  =   =   =   =

TheCADnoob

• Newt
Re: How do I Share a hard drive across Home Wi-Fi network
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:07 pm »
when my last router died i bought a cisco with a usb. Just plugged my external drive to it and viola. All of our PCs and android devices can see it and change content. Our TV can also get to it though i dont have much content that i would stream form it so i cant say if its a viable solution for local streaming.
[SIZE=9]To boldly go where spell check has never gone before. | AutoCAD - 2014 | cadnoob.com[/SIZE]

TheCADnoob

• Newt
[SIZE=9]To boldly go where spell check has never gone before. | AutoCAD - 2014 | cadnoob.com[/SIZE]

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:34:48 pm »
I've never done this so I cant speak for the other specifics things you may encounter but after a quick scan of the link and looking at the pics, the size (and format type) will be your biggest problems. NTFS will "not" work with Apple, or android (apple will only be able to read FROM not TO a NTFS slice). Android may be better but not sure off the top of my head (I don't think Android includes FUSE drivers by default). The size is a problem because you need to choose a format that can be stretched to 1tb (Windows cant format FAT32 past 32gb or something like that). I believe you can download a utility from WD that will help with the formatting issue but now you have a problem with your existing data, in that you will loose it if you reformat your drive.

TheCADnoob, was your drive NTFS (can you verify that you can read/write with Android and a NTFS slice)?
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

TheCADnoob

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 02:03:18 pm »
I dont know for certain if its NTFS. I haven't intentionally done fat in a while and my drive its a terabyte so I would assume its NTFS, but if i remember when i get home ill see if I can tell. I can write to it from Android. I routinely back up my pictures to it. I have to use ES explorer (android app) to find it as a lot of the dumbed down explorers dot like looking on the net work.

The router may be allowing the behavior with all its bells and whistles. Its a pretty slick thing and i believe offers remoteing in to my network (user friendly wise) as well as a cloud service for apps i think. I haven't given it the time it deserves for its true functionality.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:14:04 pm »
FWIW == there have been a number of reports of poor security on drives plugged into routers -- some vendors leave them exposed to the internet at large...  I don't recall if cisco was on that list, but it would not be a surprise
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 07:50:10 am »
Thanks guys.   

I will take a look when I get the time.  My Modem/router/WiFi is supplied by Time Warner.
I learned my lessons ... SLOWLY ~ Unknown

=   =   =  ACA 2015, Revit Arch 2015 & 16 Navisworks Manage 2015 & 16 on 64bit on Win7P  =   =   =   =

TheCADnoob

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:28:13 am »
FWIW == there have been a number of reports of poor security on drives plugged into routers -- some vendors leave them exposed to the internet at large...  I don't recall if cisco was on that list, but it would not be a surprise

Yea my assumption is that it is exposed at some level. I tend to think that way about it all things digital.  perhaps im just paranoid but i have never assumed privacy with any of these devices. I used to put a tinfoil hat disclaimer on things like this and then snowden happened... i try not to put anything super sensitive on it.

and i totaly forgot to look at the file system type :hahanot:

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:35:56 am »
You might look into getting one of these. I have a friend that has one & the software it has very robust.

Windows 10 x64 - AutoCAD 2017

Custom Build PC

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 06:16:07 pm »
If you accessing across a network connection the filesystem is pretty irrelevant  R/W IO is handled by the network stack, not the FS driver.

Re: eimternet exposed USB disks hanging off a router.  It's not just a matter o keeping trivial stuff on, the router software was essentially opening up massive doors into you internal infrastructure.  Heck, just replace one o your pdf, doc, or mp3 files with a payload, and all your bases are belong to us.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business