Author Topic: Operating system other than W10 ...  (Read 1267 times)

MickD

• Gator
  • I don't need a job, I need Money!!
Re: Operating system other than W10 ...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 04:51:20 pm »
In my limited experience with *nix OS's, I think the distro you choose comes down to how 'techie' you want to be. If you just want a simple to use OS with everything available via a GUI and a large community for support then it's hard to go past Ubuntu.
That was its MO, and if you're not running a server it's more than capable enough and has a huge application repo for installation via the GUI package manager (it's easier than Windows!).

The underlying kernel is basically the same in all *nix systems, it's how many bells and whistles they install as standard that makes the most difference.

Another option to take different distro's for a spin is install VirtualBox or VMWare and download a few and run them in a VM on your current Windows, it's quick and easy.
I'm doing a CLI tutorial atm and they provide an image for use in the course which is Ubuntu so if you want to learn/brush up a bit on your CLI it seems like a great tut.
http://www.learnenough.com/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:07:05 pm by MickD »
"A language that doesn’t have everything is actually easier to program in than some that do."

— Dennis M. Ritchie

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
Re: Operating system other than W10 ...
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 08:17:42 am »
I like keeping an install of Haiku-OS (successor to BeOS) around, but acknowledge it's not super useful today, even if it's more usable than most other OSes out there.  Just missing applications that I would need.

However, ReactOS has today released a new version of their Windows-workalike.  Worth checking into, especially with the Live CD
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business