Author Topic: this way it's simpler  (Read 2771 times)

Zahex

this way it's simpler
« on: May 09, 2005, 03:15:36 PM »
Hello:
i admit that maybe my previous post was kinda complicated to understand..hopefully this is simpler.ahere it goes:

imagine this
i have a polygon,for example a 4sided polygon (insertion point:0,0,0) ,then i would like to create a new polygon only now the insertion point is different because i want a different height,insertion point 0,0,10 (10 is the solids height) finally with the 3d face command create the faces that define a solid figure(sides and bases).

simplifying:

1-draw a polygon with the polygon command
2-give it the insertion point
3-draw another polygon with the same number of sides of the first and the z coordinate variable.
4-create 3d faces to transforme it into a solid

Please help

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
this way it's simpler
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 03:28:51 PM »
As I see it #4 is the hard one. But I'm no 3D expert either.

If you're going to the same polygon (#3) why not just copy the first using the same X,Y and change the Z?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
this way it's simpler
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 03:40:47 PM »
Just a shot in the dark but, could the extrude command do the job?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

daron

this way it's simpler
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 03:46:09 PM »
I know Hendie and Stig did some studies on this. I'm just waiting for them to point to it.

daron

this way it's simpler
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 03:48:40 PM »
Then again, maybe I can't be >that< patient. Is that link what you're looking towards?

Zahex

this way it's simpler
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 04:26:11 PM »
is it possible to extrude from one polygon to another even if these polygons don't have the same radius?
any other clue?can either of you maybe teach me how to do these kind of solids?
Thanks

CADaver

this way it's simpler
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:19:35 PM »
radius??  we went from 4 side polygons to radius, i'm confused.

EXTRUDE will allow you to extrude an existing polygon, a fixed height and taper angle.

if the two polygons are not congruent, BOX will build a uniform 3d box, the use the SLICE (3 point) command to slice it to the dimensions of the upper polygon, 2 points of the lower corners and one of the upper.

SMadsen

this way it's simpler
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 06:01:05 PM »
Quote from: Daron
Then again, maybe I can't be >that< patient. Is that link what you're looking towards?

I think I killed that thread by bringing up the question of how to write 3D solids from scratch (with AutoLISP that is) :)
I still don't know how to do that so I wouldn't be of much help here. Unless it concerns 3D faces only cos' that's nothing but a bit of point calculation. But the way it's phrased here, "create 3d faces to transform it into a solid"? Nope, can't do it.