Author Topic: Civil3D Labels versus Dimensions  (Read 9990 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Re: Civil3D Labels versus Dimensions
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »
 :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :yay!:

my favorite word "BOOM!"

You nailed it!
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
You nailed it!

Happy to help :-)

Just be aware that even with an associated Dimension, you'll still need to be mindful of the FIELDEVAL sysvar, and/or use UPDATEFIELD or REGEN Commands to see those changes in the evaluated result.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »
Took forever for me to find this thread again, as I could use it myself for a task I'm doing, and ended up finding another way to use Dimensions.

It may not yield the desired aesthetic result, but you simply enable Alternate Units in Properties Pane, set the 'Alt round' to 0.1111, and supply the desired 'Alt prefix/suffix'... Save as a 9', 10', etc. Parking-related Dimstyle.

Cheers

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »
Well, That's funny. I just found this lisp about a few weeks ago. I use it on my plans and it does what I need it to do. I just put it in a macro button and go from there. Let me know what you think.

Code: [Select]
(defun C:SPCT
  (/ ename obj dim div total fract)
  (setq ename (car (entsel "\nSelect dimension: ")))
  (setq obj (vlax-ename->vla-object ename))
  (setq dim (vla-get-measurement obj))
  (if (not def)
    (setq def 1))
  (setq div (getdist (strcat "\nDivide into <" (rtos def) ">: ")))
  (if (not div)
    (setq div def)
    (setq def div))

(setq total (/ dim div))
  (setq fract (- total (fix total)))

(vla-put-textoverride
    obj
    (strcat (itoa (fix total))
    " SPACES @ "
    (rtos div)
             "'"
             " = <>"
       ))
  (princ))
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »
The benefit of using the Alternate Units, is that there's no second step... Just dimension the length... No Field dependent on a Line Object, no LISP to run when done, or after changes.

Simply have a Dimstyle for each parking stall width you need (we only use one here, I assume others have different width needs?), and obviously use the right Dimstyle for the stalls to be measured, or the count will be off. :-)

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:56:28 AM by BlackBox »

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »
... we only use one here....

Doh! :|

Just looked up the County's requirements for a concept plan I'm doing, and they do in fact have a different parking stall width... Looks like I'm up to 2 parking Dimstyles now. Haha

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 10:03:04 AM »
Its still great that you found out how to do it! Sometimes switching styles is a lot easier than (manual entry typing wise). Then maybe you can use your paint brush and match styles!
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
Never thought about this before, my mind tells me that this number of provided parking stalls is
an Architectural requirement not a Civil one, sO I really wonder why  we are even bothering counting/labeling
number of provided spaces on our plans, when it is really NOT our problem or obligation to contend for this issue....just me thinking out loud....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 10:24:53 AM »
Its still great that you found out how to do it! Sometimes switching styles is a lot easier than (manual entry typing wise). Then maybe you can use your paint brush and match styles!

Agreed; and thank you.

The only 'gotcha' that may frustrate some folks, is the cross-multiplication needed to determine the appropriate Alternate Scale Factor value(s) for other parking stall widths.

As example: 0.1111 works for 9' wide parking stalls, so divide 0.1111 by 8.0, then multiply by 9.0, to get 0.125 as Alternate Scale Factor for 8' wide stalls.

Cheers

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
Never thought about this before, my mind tells me that this number of provided parking stalls is
an Architectural requirement not a Civil one, sO I really wonder why  we are even bothering counting/labeling
number of provided spaces on our plans, when it is really NOT our problem or obligation to contend for this issue....just me thinking out loud....

Not sure what sort of 'Civil' design work you do, but here in the Transportation, Urban Land (public & private) sectors, we frequently have to provide parking spaces, be they for a new shopping center, office site, subdivision, or townhome/apartment complex.

As example, the Land Development Code down here requires a specific parking ratio for various forms of Agricultural, Commercial, Industrial, Community Service, Recreational, Residential, Residential Support, Transportation, and Warehousing uses.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »
yup your right. same here. Usually we look up the ordinances and have a spreadsheet where we can put the parcel area / proposed building foot print / and rough detention and then see what is left we can place parking on so we can maximize the site.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »
I was pretty much under the impression those things were covered by "Architectural Design Review board" or similar.
Not a requirement for Civil to address like storm water management, etc...

I can see where this might fall under the purview of the Civil Engineer, if and or when there is no architect involved.

A quick look through local Ordinances - Parking does need to be provided, but it doesn't stipulate whom is responsible for making those provisions. (Civil or Architect) interesting...
Like I said just had not considered this prior to today...even while making plans that showed parking counts on them.  (?)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:01:30 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
I was pretty much under the impression those things were covered by "Architectural Design Review board" or similar.
Not a requirement for Civil to address like storm water management, etc...

I can see where this might fall under the purview of the Civil Engineer, if and or when there is no architect involved.

A quick look through local Ordinances - Parking does need to be provided, but it doesn't stipulate whom is responsible for making those provisions. (Civil or Architect) interesting...
Like I said just had not considered this prior to today...even while making plans that showed parking counts on them.  (?)

No worries; the best ways I can demonstrate this is a Civil component, and I'm sure there's an exception somewhere, is that the Code that provides the criteria is under Land Development Code (not Building Code), and we depict all of this in our project submittals on our Paving, Grading, and Drainage plans (usually at a larger scale), if not also a separate detail sheet (at a smaller scale).

In my limited experience, Architects merely provide for what's within their own projects (obviously), and some coordination of internal drainage, HVAC, utilities, footers, walls, etc., along with any required solid waste & recycling calculations that we need on the Civil side to get municipality approval.

Cheers

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
Usually for us the architects (MEP) usually take all the plans from 5' outside the building. Everything else from there outward is usually civil/site guys.
Civil3D 2020

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
Parking layout and count has always been a part of our job description as well. Here, the architects just say "Yes, parking will be needed. Let us know when you get it right..." They do the buildings, we do the rest of the site.