Author Topic: Civil3D Labels versus Dimensions  (Read 9992 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Civil3D Labels versus Dimensions
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:37:17 AM »
This is just another awesome off the wall subject. I have been playing around with Dimensioning Site Plans lately. I have started to use a Civil3D Label Style that I can attach to the line that says (Field Expression Spaces @ 9' = Segement Length). With a dimension, I usually do the normal picking mode then edit each line with the value of spaces but I use a calculator to find what the value is. lol. I know crazy. I like the civil3D labels but some peeps here.... I will leave it at that. lol. Any idea if I could get a dimension value to automatically do what I have the civil3D label do? or is there a better way?
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Civil3D Labels versus Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:23:21 AM »
possibly...although this is a thing that neither autocad or C3d does well (automatically)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:40:03 AM »
Not sure that I follow... Do you mean can you have a Dimension pre-configured to label this:

Code: [Select]
(Field Expression Spaces @ 9' = <>)

If so, just create a Dimension with this ^^ as a text override, on the appropriate layer, etc and drag it into a custom Tool Palette, no?

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
I am totally lost. How about a picture? LOL
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:00:59 AM »
I am totally lost. How about a picture? LOL

Ditto :)

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
Sorry guys, I know a picture is worth a 1000000000000 words. Does this make more sense?
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:19:33 PM »
Not really (to me anyway)  :|

You either use a Civil 3D Label, which includes a string content prefix, and the Segment Length value, or you use a Dimension with same as text override substituting <> for the Segment Length value... Both of which you've already done according to the picture you posted... And neither account for the Segment Length / Dimension actually being a factor of 9.

What is it that you're asking for help with, exactly?

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:23:57 PM »
Is it possible to have a text override label be like a civil3d label? Maybe have a field pull the dim length
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 02:22:27 AM »
Is it possible to have a text override label be like a civil3d label? Maybe have a field pull the dim length

For Dimensions, the <> characters (in text override) _are_ the equivalent of the Civil 3D Label's [Overall] Length property.

Consider the text override in post #2

Cheers

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:20:43 AM »
Dude, I am loosing it lol. You are right on post #2. But is there a method to have a dimension style already (pre-populate) with the "(AUTOCAD DOES MATH AND DIVIDEDS THE OVERALL DIM BY 9) SPACES @ 9' = <>"
Civil3D 2020

sljohnson

• Newt
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
If you create a Civil 3D line label, you can also create an expression to calculate the number of 9' stalls in a given length. Put the label the layer you are using for labels and make sure the reference line you are labeling is living on a 'no plot' layer. Just remember that any label that uses that expression is hard coded to have 9' stalls. If you have compact car stalls or extra wide stalls (like at Costco), you'll need multiple labels and their corresponding expressions.

SLJ

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:13 AM »
That's an idea... Thank you for sharing...
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »
Dude, I am loosing it lol. You are right on post #2. But is there a method to have a dimension style already (pre-populate) with the "(AUTOCAD DOES MATH AND DIVIDEDS THE OVERALL DIM BY 9) SPACES @ 9' = <>"

No worries; you can either setup a new DIMSTYLE that includes the (AUTOCAD DOES MATH AND DIVIDEDS THE OVERALL DIM BY 9) SPACES @ 9' = prefix, and ' (<-- apostrophe) suffix (see attached), or if you need to retain the same DIMSTYLE, but have the text override customized to suite, simply drag the correctly modified Dimension to a custom Tool Palette (as noted above). Lemon squeezy. :-)

... Just be mindful of the 'Precision' setting.

[Edit] - Just realized that the 'AutoCAD does the math...' wasn't just a string (I copied + Pasted, Haha) - you _actually_ want a Field to divide the length by 9' accordingly. Looking to see if this can be done with Dimensions (and not Civil 3D labels).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:09:57 AM by BlackBox »

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »
That makes sense. Do you think a ordinary cad user can figure that out? (I do, specially if they are not that familiar to Civil3D??)
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
That makes sense. Do you think a ordinary cad user can figure that out? (I do, specially if they are not that familiar to Civil3D??)

Scratch my earlier post about using Prefix, given that you want 'AutoCAD to do the work' (oversight on my part).

You can use a Field instead, one that references a dependent Line, and format that like so (see below). After posting this already, I noticed that using a conversion faction of 0.1 produces one (1) less space than there actually was (due to rounding?), but using a conversion factor of 0.11 seems to work in some limited testing.

HTH