Author Topic: Loading Drawing into Database .Net  (Read 1611 times)

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
Loading Drawing into Database .Net
« on: April 30, 2016, 12:01:33 AM »
When I load a drawing into a database using ReadDwgFile, what effect does that have on the original drawing?  I am ultimately going to do a db.SaveAs()

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
Re: Loading Drawing into Database .Net
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24:25 AM »
Could really use input / opinions on this today.  Anyone know anything concerning the process?  Need to verify the original drawings always stay in tact once a database saveas is complete and the transaction is committed.

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 05:59:40 AM »
What does your testing indicate ??
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:13:15 AM »
When I load a drawing into a database using ReadDwgFile, what effect does that have on the original drawing?  I am ultimately going to do a db.SaveAs()

What have you come across to think that it might affect the original database?   You are creating a new and separate object from the original and it does not interact with the original unless you make it.  Even if you opened up the original drawing in a side database you would get access errors screaming at you.

It is a extremely simple matter to create a side database with a new drawing and save it and then just compare the original drawing with a before and after snapshot to prove it to yourself.
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
Thanks!  Didn't come across anything except my lack of understanding of what's actually happening when I use ReadDwgFile. This reply makes it a bit clearer.

What have you come across to think that it might affect the original database?   You are creating a new and separate object from the original and it does not interact with the original unless you make it.  Even if you opened up the original drawing in a side database you would get access errors screaming at you.

It is a extremely simple matter to create a side database with a new drawing and save it and then just compare the original drawing with a before and after snapshot to prove it to yourself.