Author Topic: Fields in Title Block  (Read 11688 times)

Drafter X

• Swamp Rat
Re: Fields in Title Block
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
I agree on no xrefs, nothing wrong with them, but even with e-transmit, I have had clients get completely lost and befuddled.. so I just avoid them.  Not because they are bad in anyway, but because my set of clients don't do well with them.

Pukenzz.. sent you a private message, want to send you some examples.
CadJockey Militia Commander

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 12:20:58 PM »
I'll throw my hat in on "no" for XREFing title block graphics.  It sounds good, and if the drawings only stay internal on your own system it might be OK.  But if drawings go back to a client, or as a client they have to be sent to an EPC, management becomes an unnecessary issue.  Drawing content?  Models?  Absolutely.  But not title blocks.
Etransmit  much?

We xref TBs all the time and as mjfarrel mentions, you can e-transmit the files and bind/insert the TBs when necessary, all in one big swoop.
Same here.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »
Trying not to hijcack *too* much here... I've got rational reasons for this, its not just blind opposition.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
Trying not to hijcack *too* much here... I've got rational reasons for this, its not just blind opposition.
Understood.
I was offering our/my procedure because your issue seemed to be about file management and file sharing outside the office.
Sharing ideas is always a good thing and helps everyone.

But as you say, we all have our reasons for doing what we do.

[cheers]
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »
Quote from: Drafter
I agree on no xrefs, nothing wrong with them, but even with e-transmit, I have had clients get completely lost and befuddled.. so I just avoid them. 

Any client, partner, sub, etc. that can't handle receiving an eTransmit package, probably just needs to get a PDF set of the drawings.
AutoCAD and .DWG files are not for them. :-)

Pukenzz

• Newt
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2016, 10:03:06 PM »
When and where is the big sit down so we can all get together and see these things pros & cons in a room together.  The forum is awesome.  You all have helped me so much over the years and I'm grateful.  Sometimes it just easier in person.

Drafter X

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »
Quote from: Drafter
I agree on no xrefs, nothing wrong with them, but even with e-transmit, I have had clients get completely lost and befuddled.. so I just avoid them. 

Any client, partner, sub, etc. that can't handle receiving an eTransmit package, probably just needs to get a PDF set of the drawings.
AutoCAD and .DWG files are not for them. :)

Your right, but they pay the bill so they get it however they ask for it.
CadJockey Militia Commander

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »
Have clients that do not accept xrefs and just etransmit and use insert/bind option.

If not using SSM just use text as  would be easier than work around just to use fields

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2016, 08:21:41 AM »
Pukenzz,

Did you take a look at the example HERE ?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Pukenzz

• Newt
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2016, 02:34:32 PM »
Yes I looked.  Still wrapping my head around all the feedback I've been getting from everybody.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2016, 03:11:24 AM »
Late to the party,  I used fields and dwgprops. I used lisp/.net routines to copy/add/remove/swap values between dwgs.
I did a setup at one company, that would import from the bidding program, everything we could think of was imported, material, hardware , etc..

there’s a lot you can do with fields  8-)