Author Topic: Fields in Title Block  (Read 11677 times)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Fields in Title Block
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 09:54:38 PM »
Feel the power of xrefs :) .. Making global changes is easy peasy with them .. One source one change.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 10:21:37 PM »
Pukenzz,  What type of work do you do?

Is it machinery?  Buildings?  Civil?   Electronics?
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Pukenzz

• Newt
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 08:02:59 AM »
Store fixtures, cabinetry, casework. 

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 08:21:28 AM »
However the drawing properties are limited, if by nothing else that narrow columns that can not be made wider to show all the text.
I don't understand? Custom properties sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:13 AM »
MJ...  where do you do your dimensions, notes, annotating, tags, etc?

They can either go in modelspace (annotative) so that they only show up in the proper scaled viewport.
OR
They can go in Paperspace

I try to use this as a guide:

If it controls the model - model space
If it annotates the model - Paperspace

Through use of layers, and annotative functionality one can dimension the model (annotate/tag/hatch) in modelspace
and then have individual viewports look anyway you want them to.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 08:34:33 AM »
OK so little by little you have me coming around.  MS vs PS willing to entertain.  Tough to really communicate how one or the other does or does not work for me if we are not sitting in front of computers together comparing and contrasting.  But willing even though I'm still set on my crappy ways but letting go of some stuff. 

Xrefs...  not so sold on them yet.

Can you steer me towards using fields, specifically custom fields...  Is there a way that I can create a block that contains information that I can enter 1 time on "cover page" and change as needed and that information will automigaclly update the fields in other block all withing that same drawing and only that drawing?  I'm talking 1 cover page  / template block feeding other blocks.  I see how to do it using the drawing properties.  However the drawing properties are limited, if by nothing else that narrow columns that can not be made wider to show all the text.

On the attached example I want to edit the attribute field of "1024" on the white template and have that change push into the red corresponding fields of the red TB.  Is that a doable thing?
Actually you type it ONE time in your Sheet Set properties, or Sheet Set Custom Properties, and it populates across all sheets in the set.

Custom drawing properties just adds an additional place to store information.
I mostly use sheet set properties (custom properties) to fill in title blocks for years now.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
Here's an example linking the attributes to the 'cover sheet'.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Pukenzz

• Newt
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »
I'm good with the custom properties idea.  It can hold plenty of characters plenty of information the thing I don't like is that I can't open up the column width so I can only see the first +/-14 characters in the editor.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 08:58:52 AM »
Quote from: mjfarrell
.....notice that printing and plotting becomes a know factor, no need to preview, no need for LISP or other code, it just works

Thanks for ^^^^^^^^

I still can't get people to "see" this, even after demonstrating it live.
They still want to type in PLOT, pick a window (even when printing from a layout), preview, cancel the preview, then print....

aaaaarrrrrggggg... why people....why?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »
I'm good with the custom properties idea.  It can hold plenty of characters plenty of information the thing I don't like is that I can't open up the column width so I can only see the first +/-14 characters in the editor.
Now you are just being picky. :)

Did you notice my screen shot? Just hover your mouse over the row.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Pukenzz

• Newt
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 09:06:09 AM »
Picky yes.  But why not?  Given the cost of AutoCAD, the robustness of the product, the ability to tweak and customize so many aspects of it and the vast world of intelligent individuals willing to read and respond to forums, it doesn't hurt to ask.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »
I'll throw my hat in on "no" for XREFing title block graphics.  It sounds good, and if the drawings only stay internal on your own system it might be OK.  But if drawings go back to a client, or as a client they have to be sent to an EPC, management becomes an unnecessary issue.  Drawing content?  Models?  Absolutely.  But not title blocks.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »
Quote from: mjfarrell
.....notice that printing and plotting becomes a know factor, no need to preview, no need for LISP or other code, it just works

Thanks for ^^^^^^^^

I still can't get people to "see" this, even after demonstrating it live.
They still want to type in PLOT, pick a window (even when printing from a layout), preview, cancel the preview, then print....

aaaaarrrrrggggg... why people....why?

People in general are reluctant to adopt new methods. 
Now IF there was a chance they would be eaten or killed by something like a Sabre Cat, or a Mastodon, they would adapt a lot quicker.
Or be instantly removed from the gene pool.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »
I'll throw my hat in on "no" for XREFing title block graphics.  It sounds good, and if the drawings only stay internal on your own system it might be OK.  But if drawings go back to a client, or as a client they have to be sent to an EPC, management becomes an unnecessary issue.  Drawing content?  Models?  Absolutely.  But not title blocks.
Etransmit  much?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »
Etransmit  much?

We xref TBs all the time and as mjfarrel mentions, you can e-transmit the files and bind/insert the TBs when necessary, all in one big swoop.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023