Author Topic: We're Not Gonna Take It  (Read 26727 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
We're Not Gonna Take It
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »
We let all subscriptions lapse and not renewing.

I am a little surprised and do not encourage either way but I guess they got tired of paying for software and see no benefit in upgrading.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: We're Not Gonna Take It
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:36 PM »

I am a little surprised and do not encourage either way but I guess they got tired of paying for software and see no benefit in upgrading.

more need to do this, AND most importantly post about it in someway online so that a wave of people see and read about it,
make same choice, and also publicly blog it, such that Autodesk sees and hears about it, as well as feels it in their quarterly sales figures

that will be when the customers truly start to WIN!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »

Careful with that - they may read that differently than you intend.  For example, they could see it as the particular product not being popular any more and lean towards cancelling further investment.  That means less work on it in the future, and so a new wave of people moving off that product because they don't see any benefits, and around and around it goes.

You might want to ask "them" what they are planning to do at the next OS upgrade.  Chances are what you have now won't work properly, or at all.  That could be a huge expense not just in renewing licensing but potentially migrating to a different system.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 04:21:25 PM »

Careful with that - they may read that differently than you intend.  For example, they could see it as the particular product not being popular any more and lean towards cancelling further investment.  That means less work on it in the future, and so a new wave of people moving off that product because they don't see any benefits, and around and around it goes.

You might want to ask "them" what they are planning to do at the next OS upgrade.  Chances are what you have now won't work properly, or at all.  That could be a huge expense not just in renewing licensing but potentially migrating to a different system.
They do what ever they want, they know everything better than everyone else does. I just informed them of the changes being done to licenses and forwarded them invoices.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:55:17 PM »

possibly, unless of course the 'message' was delivered very clearly to the reseller

as in

Sorry we will NOT be upgrading and or 'subscribing' any longer as the VALUE for our INVESTMENT is retrograde to the COST.
However be sure to have Autodesk contact us directly so that we may inform them of how disproportionate the cost of each new version is to
the relative 'benefits' of and lack of actual 'new' features each provides.

or something similar...then there should be little confusion that the customer is NOT seeing the 'value' due to the forced yearly upgrade cycle and lack of actual
product enhancements, and or number of new bugs or work-arounds that must be dealt with each year.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 05:18:39 PM »
LMAO!

Guy got fired and new one coming in, and just asked me to remove other guy and setup for new one coming in.
I would normally handle it through the subscription center, but now I don't know how we are going to handle licenses.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:22:01 PM »

possibly, unless of course the 'message' was delivered very clearly to the reseller

as in

Sorry we will NOT be upgrading and or 'subscribing' any longer as the VALUE for our INVESTMENT is retrograde to the COST.
However be sure to have Autodesk contact us directly so that we may inform them of how disproportionate the cost of each new version is to
the relative 'benefits' of and lack of actual 'new' features each provides.

or something similar...then there should be little confusion that the customer is NOT seeing the 'value' due to the forced yearly upgrade cycle and lack of actual
product enhancements, and or number of new bugs or work-arounds that must be dealt with each year.

Actually the conversion goes like this.

It's time to upgrade.
Can we all get back on 2005?
I will check.
People heard 2005 and they all start walking in saying I hate new versions of AutoCAD I wish we could go back to 2000

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »
And that is just about the year I started WARNING people about the consequences of 'subscription' no matter what phrase autodesk was using at the time.
I knew then, the return for our 'investment' would be diminished, and their (Autodesk) responsiveness to what we really wanted or needed as well
as actual product development would suffer, due to the decoupling of sales to actual product capability as a result of 'locking' the customers in to each
successive release through this model.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
LMAO!

Guy got fired and new one coming in, and just asked me to remove other guy and setup for new one coming in.
I would normally handle it through the subscription center, but now I don't know how we are going to handle licenses.

This 'should' be a matter of adding new guy's user profile to old fired guys workstation....as the cad license doesn't care whom is utilizing it.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »
Actually the conversion goes like this.

It's time to upgrade.
Can we all get back on 2005?
I will check.
People heard 2005 and they all start walking in saying I hate new versions of AutoCAD I wish we could go back to 2000

FWIW -

My surveyor (and VP of the company) is still using 2000 + Eagle Point... He uses RDP from his Win8.1x64 machine into his WinXPx86 Pro machine. I'm already planning on converting his WinXP machine to a VM, and store on his 64-bit workstation to consume via Client Hyper-V; just need a USB over IP device. :-D

The only reason the other folks at my office aren't still using Land Desktop 2004 (without the Land component installed; I know!), is because I didn't reinstall it when I did a clean install of Win8.1x64.  :2funny:

*Plays the song "Lucifer" by Jay Z*
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 07:29:53 AM »
Quote from: mjfarrell

more need to do this......such that Autodesk sees and hears about it, as well as feels it in their quarterly sales figures

Autodesk pays a lot of smart people a lot of money to analyze the situation before making major business decisions like this. They are fully prepared to lose customers like you.
However, I'm quite sure the total percentage of lost customers will be impossible to notice and difficult to even measure.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 07:44:25 AM »
^^
interesting way of saying you are a insignificant bug
   :tongue2:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 07:49:25 AM »
Krushed.
CAD Tech

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 08:54:06 AM »
And that is just about the year I started WARNING people about the consequences of 'subscription' no matter what phrase autodesk was using at the time.
I knew then, the return for our 'investment' would be diminished, and their (Autodesk) responsiveness to what we really wanted or needed as well
as actual product development would suffer, due to the decoupling of sales to actual product capability as a result of 'locking' the customers in to each
successive release through this model.
Your argument is old now. Autodesk is moving forward. Please try and keep up.

1.5 Why is Autodesk discontinuing some perpetual licenses?
With this change, Autodesk is continuing its transition to subscription-based products, which offer customers a lower entry price, greater choice of tools, and the ability to pay-as-you-go. With its shift away from selling perpetual rights to use a specific version of software, Autodesk plans to continually innovate and improve its Desktop Subscription, Cloud and “network subscription” products & services, more tightly integrate them with cloud services, allow access from multiple devices at any time, make them easier to deploy and manage, and reduce file compatibility issues.

2.1 What is Desktop Subscription? Does Desktop Subscription use the cloud to store applications and data?
Desktop Subscription gives you access to Autodesk software—the same full version as with a perpetual license—but with a flexible, pay-as-you-go approach for a software budget that’s easier to manage. The desktop software application delivered through Desktop Subscription, as well as associated user data, continue to be stored on a local machine.

TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01:38 AM »
Quote from: mjfarrell

more need to do this......such that Autodesk sees and hears about it, as well as feels it in their quarterly sales figures

Autodesk pays a lot of smart people a lot of money to analyze the situation before making major business decisions like this. They are fully prepared to lose customers like you.
However, I'm quite sure the total percentage of lost customers will be impossible to notice and difficult to even measure.
perhaps they should hire more smart people and pay them a lot of money to actually improve the product offering year on year?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell