Author Topic: We're Not Gonna Take It  (Read 26724 times)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: We're Not Gonna Take It
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »
And precisely why they would be best served to STOP this madness of ANNUAL release cycle.
As more and more crap programming gets piled on top of crap programming.
They would really do well to pick one or two things customers really want added, and FIX everything else before the next release, even IF that means the next version
doesn't come out per calendar year.  I think most of us would be far happier getting a product that works without surprises, and surprises us with fixes to longstanding issues.
Something like that might restore peoples loyalty to them.  As opposed to the current model breeding animosity and dissatisfaction.

Why? Again, and again, and again one more time: Why would/should they? People keep buying so they keep selling. You are not going to get people to stop buying because it's written into the standard contract of the business. You are not fighting a loosing battle, you are fighting the locked door to get into the arena where the fight was held ~25+ years ago.

EDIT: Added quote to make context more understandable.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:48:30 PM by John Kaul (Se7en) »
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »
Oh, and I forgot that whole cloud based crap ... you put stuff "on the cloud" under the premise of not losing it .. then find out that gaining access to it is dependent upon having a good internet connection and the remote servers to be functional and a whole list of other potential problems.

If I keep everything stored locally with a decent backup scheme, I only have to sorry about my equipment .. and if my workstation crashes, I can be up and running in no time with minimal downtime. What happens when someone does some unexpected gardening?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
Keith, Adobe made a bucket full of cash and Autodesk is scrambling to do the same; they don't care about your data loss chances (that's your responsibility).

Donate to TheSwamp.org

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
I don't know of anyone that sees, linetypes as a bug

IMHO, they were not designed properly from day one. The change to a default LTScale of .5 pretty much says that they admit that they made them all too big.

I think that comes from another source - people using the imperial acad.lin file in metric drawings with a global LTSCALE of 10.  When you switch over to the metric acadiso.lin file, the HIDDEN line is now off by that factor of ~ 2 and the HIDDEN2 linetype has to be used.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »
I think that comes from another source - people using the imperial acad.lin file in metric drawings with a global LTSCALE of 10.  When you switch over to the metric acadiso.lin file, the HIDDEN line is now off by that factor of ~ 2 and the HIDDEN2 linetype has to be used.

IME, having always used imperial. Any dashed linetype required us to use the "2" version as a standard. Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »
It doesn't take much searching to see, that my opinion and reasons are echoed by many.
It would be interesting to see the topic debated, and not the individual offering that opinion.

Or as they say, "play the ball, not the player".

We will see who or what starts eating at their market share in a short time, and how or if they respond
to a customer base willing too use things like Bricscad, or Blender, or FreeCad.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 02:46:13 PM »
It doesn't take much searching to see, that my opinion and reasons are echoed by many.
It would be interesting to see the topic debated, and not the individual offering that opinion.

We will see who or what starts eating at their market share in a short time, and how or if they respond
to a customer base willing too use things like Bricscad, or Blender, or FreeCad.

*really big sigh* I'm sorry but you just don't seem to be understanding the situation.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »

*really big sigh* I'm sorry but you just don't seem to be understanding the situation.
LOL

We will see who or what starts eating at their market share in a short time
Adobe has the same model and they don't seem to be losing any market share.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »
The people who take time to say anything or read what others say make up such a small fraction of their customer base they do not care and from point of view of a company making money their decisions make sense to me.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 03:53:09 PM »
Yes, however Adobe did not move entirely to a subscription only based model, one can still by boxed versions of their product.
Further, from my experience Adobe has a better track record of delivering product updates and fixes to their products.

Along those lines...IF

I could use every product Autodesk made for less than $100/month, I would have far less to complain about.
And even less if they fixed the broken crap, and made sure NEW features actually worked when delivered to my desktop.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:56:38 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 03:58:36 PM »

I tried to stop myself.  I really did.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 04:40:51 PM »

Most of them (the many) aren't nearly as smart as you are.
CAD Tech

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 04:53:53 PM »
Watch it Rob... That last comment (sarcasm) treads on thin ice as far as I'm concerned and I'm sick of the fighting (I don't want to deal with that crap again).

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 04:57:23 PM »
Actually, it was an off handed compliment. Most of the people that rant about the programmers cannot back up their arguments like Mr Farrell can.
CAD Tech

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2016, 05:00:57 PM »
Okay. You guys have a history so I hope you'll forgive me for checking the levelness of that line.

Donate to TheSwamp.org