Author Topic: 3D HELP please  (Read 5531 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: 3D HELP please
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
Sorry notredave, we often assume a certain amount of knowledge. Maybe if you could break it down and be more specific in your questions you will get more direct answers.

So, you have 3D models of some parts and you need to make an number of isometric views of them to use as blocks in your isometric drawings.

There are several ways to get the views that you need. Have you figured that part out yet?
CAD Tech

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
Honestly, this sounds decently basic. My suggestion is to hire some young college kid or intern and have them work on this and help train. That or research various online/in-class courses on this subject.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 09:53:22 AM »
Yeah, also, I hear that The Swamp is a great resource for more direct help.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 09:57:29 AM »
Honestly, this sounds decently basic. My suggestion is to hire some young college kid or intern and have them work on this and help train. That or research various online/in-class courses on this subject.
On occasion I have done 3d Modeling classes in addition to Revit Structural, Autodesk Steel Detailing, MAP, and Civil 3d.

OF all the classes, the 3D modeling ones have proved to be the most fun both for the students and myself.
Mostly because the class and the students can branch into many direction after the initial 'basics' are covered and grasped.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
Yeah, also, I hear that The Swamp is a great resource for more direct help.

This is true, and it works fairly well.  And better yet when the person seeking help, posts their efforts, and seeks advice to refine their results.

I think a decent example was the person seeking help with something called a tomato basket....that branched a little into other forms and methods.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 12:15:41 PM »
like for instance of attached bolt drawing....

It also comes down to the level of detail required, as shown this is a pretty, but useless model.

NOT SURE

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »
    You can pull 2D geometry from 3D solids using SOLPROF (Soild Profile) too.

• Create a viewport in Paperspace in the drawing with the 3D solids you'd like to pull the 2D geometry from.
    • Set the view you require (Type VIEW and select one of the views from the 'Orthographic & Isometric Views').
    • Set that viewport to 1:1 scale.
    • Double click inside the viewport to make it active.
    • Type SOLPROF, and select the objects you'd like to pull the 2D geometry from, then follow the prompts.
    • Type CHSPACE and select the 2D elements to pull the geometry into PaperSpace.

That should get you started.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:21:28 PM by DeeGeeCees »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »
like for instance of attached bolt drawing....

It also comes down to the level of detail required, as shown this is a pretty, but useless model.

It all comes down to "what level of detail and or accuracy is required?"

If it is like a General Arrangement drawing then general shape and size are all that is required, yet they do need to be dimensionally correct.

If it is a final assembly, and or details used to actually manufacture and or fabricate parts/components, then the level of accuracy needs to go up accordingly.

Yeah, that is a nice bolt, however probably too high a level of detail unless for manufacturing purposes.
It is also probably too detailed even for an assembly diagram.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Kyle Reese

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 06:15:15 AM »
notredave:

Since you are using AutoCAD 2015 you have the following methods for extracting 2D views from 3D models.

1. Flatshot
2. SolProf
3. SolView/SolDraw
4. SectionPlane
5. ViewBase

The option you choose is somewhat dependent on where you want these 2D views to end up (model space or layout).

The easiest option for a student or a newbie in my opinion would be to use the ViewBase (sometimes referred to as BaseView) command where the 2D views will be created automatically in your layout.  Should your 3D model have to undergo some changes the 2D views can be easily updated.

My advice is simple.  Read up on each option and do a test drawing using the exact same 3D model then compare such things as how long it takes to create all the necessary views and how easy or difficult it is to recreate views if the model undergoes some changes.  I think you'll come to a decision as which method works best for your circumstances in quick order.