Author Topic: VISRETAIN - System Variable  (Read 5916 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
VISRETAIN - System Variable
« on: December 18, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
Code: [Select]
Controls the properties of xref-dependent layers.

Type: Integer
Saved in: Drawing
Initial value: 1
Controls visibility, color, linetype, lineweight, and plot styles.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
Re: VISRETAIN - System Variable
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 03:12:39 PM »
I vote 1.

In my opinion xref geometry & content should be displayed appropriately in each drawing in which it is referenced; the appearance of xref layers for one drawing may not necessarily be appropriate for another (for example, xref layer colours may need to be 'dimmed' in a drawing for which the xref geometry should be displayed, but not take precendence over other more important information). Hence VISRETAIN=1 allows refinement on a per-drawing basis.

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »
1+

Out of topic, I always wanted to plot Xrefs within other model space geometry, but like xref attached fade representation... Is this possible - or I must still modify layers transparencies manually?
Marko Ribar, d.i.a. (graduated engineer of architecture)

:)

M.R. on Youtube

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »
I prefer 0 unless I need to control layers in viewports. I like that what I see in my design file, I'll see in plot files. Although this could be changed if I plotted out of my design file .... anyhoo. :)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:22:39 PM »
Mostly 1 for 2d drawings. 0 in a  the structure of xref-3d models. I could see the use a seperate visretain for just alone the transparency of layers 0/1 for 3d. I use Giles, fix block routine often to get blockdata into 'layer shape'..
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:27:31 PM by lamarn »
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 02:33:17 AM »
I prefer 0 unless I need to control layers in viewports.

This.

I have yet to find a simpler way to manage a plan set, where VISRETAIN == 0 is used for the majority of sheets that make up our Civil plans (paving, grading, and drainage), and VISRETAIN == 1 is used for the remaining sheets (as required; not needed for detail only sheets, etc.).

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

HasanCAD

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:55:20 AM »
It is important for Arch. & struc. drawings to be 1. But for other departments it should be 0.
all other departments need to show they work and all other to be fade.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 07:06:54 AM »
I vote 1, but it would still be nice IF there was a way to set the visretain to 0 just to reload "Linetypes" and hold the current colors of the xref's. They only way I found around it is with layer filters and scripts.
Civil3D 2020

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 07:13:10 AM »

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 07:21:03 AM »
AHHHHH.... I should have know!! lol. Well, all I got to say is "1".:)
Civil3D 2020

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 09:00:21 AM »
Would it be possible to add 'transparency of layer' in your code as option, Lee?
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »
Would it be possible to add 'transparency of layer' in your code as option, Lee?

If I recall, the original code was written to be entirely compatible with ObjectDBX, and unfortunately there is no way to configure the transparency of a layer without going through the LAYER command which would remove this compatibility.

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 09:56:28 AM »
... there is no way to configure the transparency of a layer without going through the LAYER command which would remove this compatibility.
In BricsCAD changing the transparency of a layer is a case of simply changing its Xdata. Assuming BricsCAD is compatible with 'the other product', and I am counting on this, this should therefore also be possible in a DBX context.
Code - Auto/Visual Lisp: [Select]
  1. (_Data_ObjectXdataSet
  2.   lyrObj
  3.   "AcCmTransparency"
  4.   (if (/= val 33554687) (list (cons 1071 val))) ; Remove Xdata if transparency is 0%.
  5. )

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 10:17:07 AM »
... there is no way to configure the transparency of a layer without going through the LAYER command which would remove this compatibility.
In BricsCAD changing the transparency of a layer is a case of simply changing its Xdata. Assuming BricsCAD is compatible with 'the other product', and I am counting on this, this should therefore also be possible in a DBX context.
Code - Auto/Visual Lisp: [Select]
  1. (_Data_ObjectXdataSet
  2.   lyrObj
  3.   "AcCmTransparency"
  4.   (if (/= val 33554687) (list (cons 1071 val))) ; Remove Xdata if transparency is 0%.
  5. )

In my limited testing this does not appear to be the case in AutoCAD: the xdata associated with a layer will of course yield the correct transparency value, but appending/modifying such xdata seems to have no effect on the transparency of the layer.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 10:53:50 AM »
The only real issue with 1 that I have, is the dependency on Layer States, which even with the Layerstate-* LispFunctions does not properly reload from .LAS file (one for each sheet type in a given plan set).

That, and Civil 3D Objects can have undesired results (example: Station Offset labels for an alignment?), when layers are frozen vs being turned off, etc which is just a PITA.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:39:15 PM by BlackBox »
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."