Author Topic: Any better cad program?  (Read 11033 times)

Dent Cermak

Any better cad program?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2005, 06:10:10 PM »
strange that you should notice.......sweetie

johnnythunders

Any better cad program?
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2005, 06:30:02 PM »
Hey everyone,
Great site you have here- I think I'm going to learn a lot from it.
I'm the one who wrote the original post in this thread. First off, let me apologize if I offended anyone with the term 'Cad monkey.' I use the term with great affection as I consider myself to be one.
The point of my post might not be entirely clear, removed from its original context, so let me try to explain:
I have huge appreciation for what computers can do for us- I'm honestly not sure if I would have entered the field of architecture if hand drafting were our only option. I get frustrated however because I know that CAD could do so much more than it does currently. As some have suggested, my situation could quickly be ameliorated if I knew even half of what Autocad has to offer. This is true to an extent because I'm pretty poor at comprehending anything found in a software manual and there is nobody at my small firm who is even close to mastering the program who could seve as my CAD mentor. I have however taken classes in Microstation and have used Archicad at a previous job so I am pretty experienced in 3D rendering and other more advanced CAD applications. I have even used Autocad to do 3D renderings.
It is that last point that is the source of my frustration. As far as I could tell, a 3D model in Autocad needs to be a completely separate entity from 2D construction drawings. And unless I've really been missing something these last 4 years, Autocad has no way to link 2D drawings to one another either. It is unbelievable to me that the most popular CAD program in the world is not more advanced.
Some here have mentioned Revit and Achitectural Desktop as being programs that have true 3D building modelling. I have played around with the sample software and while there seemed to be a large step towards architectural intelligence, it didn't seem like the technology was quite there yet. This may have been my own inability to learn the program without a teacher. If these programs really do allow us to fully link all of our drawings, I'd love to hear the good news but something tells me that we're still several years from that day. In my experienced with an older version of Archicad for example, I could cut sections from the floor plan but the lineweights were not nearly presentation quality and it was not possible to automatically render a construction type. (I think it would be great if one could specify wood platform frame, for example, and then cut a section and then automatically see wall plates, rim boards, etc.)
I don't know anything about programming but I don't think the program that I'm wishing for is by any means beyond what current technology is capable of. We were speculating on the other website that maybe the problem is that our bosses, who have more money and influence, don't know anything about CAD and therefore haven't made any effort to demand more advanced technologies. In my case, when my boss wanted to upgrade Autocad, I told him about Revit and Architectural Desktop. I tried to explain that if us drafters could double our productivity so that he could take on more work and make more money, etc. He really didn't buy it and opted to stick with Autocad. I think that as a profession, unless we ask for better , we'll still be trimming and extending lines a decade from now. Meanwhile our friends at ILM and Pixar will be enjoying the cutting edge in computer technology.
For those of you who use Revit and Architectural Desktop (or any program for that matter) I'd love to hear any opinions on the workability and future feasibility of linking drawings. I'm a little isolated in the little firm that I work for and I'm curious about what's out there.
Thanks and sorry again if I offended anyone.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Any better cad program?
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2005, 06:30:52 PM »
:yikes: :horror:
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Any better cad program?
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2005, 06:50:27 PM »
What do you mean by "linking drawings"?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

M-dub

Any better cad program?
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2005, 07:05:12 PM »
Quote from: johnnythunders
Hey everyone,

...Thanks and sorry again if I offended anyone.

Wow that's quite the 'First Post'!  Welcome to theSwamp, Johnnythunders! :)

Dent Cermak

Any better cad program?
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2005, 09:09:47 PM »
An archtect? Let's get him!! Hey when you find someone that knows how to use more than 30% of AutoCad, let me know. I'd like to meet the smartest man in the valley. (Please note that there will be a flood of responses saying that they meet this criteria. If you haven't gotten the idea yet, this is a nice bunch of folks, but they are all liars!! "cept me. You can trust me.  :twisted: )

daron

Any better cad program?
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2005, 07:26:50 AM »
You can trust Dent as far as you can throw him. His name's not Dent for nothing you know. Big man.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Any better cad program?
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2005, 07:47:28 AM »
Check the specifications of these programs.
They are tailored to the housing industry.
I have not used either one.

http://www.softplan.com/lpsoftplan.htm

http://chiefarchitect.com/
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

hendie

Any better cad program?
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2005, 08:28:00 AM »
Hey everyone,...

is that your real monicker ?
or you wouldn't happen to be a real Heartbreakers/New York Dolls fan would you ?

johnnythunders

Any better cad program?
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2005, 12:01:49 PM »
Ronjomp- by 'linked drawings', I mean changing the floor plan automatically updates elevations, sections etc. Essentially one works on a 3D model and the program generates 2D drawings for you.

CAB- thanks. I had never even heard of either of these programs. I'll check them out.
Sometimes it's hard, though, to get a true sense of a programs capabilities just by playing around with the sample software. Does anyone know if software salespeople or company reps will do a demonstration for potential buyers? I know programs provide sample drawing files but I was pretty UNDERwhelmed by Arch. Desktop's samples. You'd think companies would put a little more effort into trying to wow you with these.
In my day job, I think, for better or worse, I'm stuck with autocad. But if I start doing a little side work, I want to make a very informed decision about the best possible program for small scale residential work.

Hendie- I AM Johnny Thunders of Dolls/Heartbreakers frame- risen from the dead and for some reason interning at a architecture firm. The rock and roll lifestyle was a little much for me so I thought playing with autocad all day would be a nice change of pace :)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Any better cad program?
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2005, 12:18:53 PM »

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

daron

Any better cad program?
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2005, 01:07:13 PM »
ADT will do that too.

CADaver

Any better cad program?
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2005, 01:39:31 PM »
It is that last point that is the source of my frustration. As far as I could tell, a 3D model in Autocad needs to be a completely separate entity from 2D construction drawings. And unless I've really been missing something these last 4 years, Autocad has no way to link 2D drawings to one another either.
you've missed quite a lot in the last 4 years.  

the 3d model is is in modelspace, in layout tab, insert a titleblock (scale factor =1), and open a viewport with the mview command inside the titleblock area.
use the view toolbar to display the desired view of the model.
use dview clip ti slice it if desired.
use zoom <scale>XP to set the scale of the view, (or properties or the viewports toolbar).
if annotating in modelspace, set dimscale and ucs appropriate for the view and annotate as desired.
if annotating in paperspace, set dimscale=1 and dimassoc=2 and annotate as desired.

paperspace (layout tab) is the "link" you're looking for.  and multiple tabs is the drawing link you need.

It is unbelievable to me that the most popular CAD program in the world is not more advanced.
that's because it is more advanced, but it's users are not.

we have been doing exclusively 3d in plain vanilla autocad for several years now, without the need of additional vertical products like revit or ADT.  (haven't used the render command in 3 years though)

commands to investigate:
UCS
VPOINT ROTATE
VIEW (save and restore)
VIEW TOOLBAR
VIEWPORTS TOOLBAR
MVIEW (all options)
MVSETUP
DVIEW CLIP
DVIEW TWIST
OBSCUREDLTYPE
OBSCUREDCOLOR
HALOGAP
XREF
PAGESETUP

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Any better cad program?
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2005, 01:51:19 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
Commands to investigate:

UCS
VPOINT ROTATE
VIEW (save and restore)
VIEW TOOLBAR
VIEWPORTS TOOLBAR
MVIEW (all options)
MVSETUP
DVIEW CLIP
DVIEW TWIST
OBSCUREDLTYPE
OBSCUREDCOLOR
HALOGAP
XREF
PAGESETUP

Don't forgot <F1>.

:)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

Any better cad program?
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2005, 02:09:05 PM »
Quote from: MP
Don't forgot <F1>.
:)
one of my fav's, especially since they made it context sensitive.  before you had to use the apostrophe + question mark '? after entering the command to make it context sensitive.