CAD Forums > Vertically Challenged

Infraworks 360 with Civil3D

(1/9) > >>

MSTG007:
Just wanted to get some input on this. What is the advantage of using Infraworks with Civil3D? Is this more of a tool that is made for "Business Developments"? ie. A user has this on a pad / tablet and goes and meets a client and starts sketching out ideas (Basic shapes with textured objects)?

I know I bring up SiteOps quite often, but to me. (I see it being more helpful more helpful that Infraworks)?

Just trying to get a better understanding of it and how to utilitizes a workflow for it with our Civil Department.

lamarn:
I was wondering about the same question, from a civil structure point of view. You can bring in FBX files into IW. It seems like a good tool to gather around with stakeholders. No clue yet what I brings about the advantages for designing in AutoCAD CIvil3D Revit. Apart for preliminary road design I get the more idea that it is like Navisworks. This is some explanation I got by email today

"
At high level, you can host both Civil 3D DWG, AutoCAD DWG, Bentley DGN and Revit RVT in the single InfraWorks 360 model – with all elements being converted into the same SQLite database and metadata being handled (all dependant on the original data of course).

As for the relationship with Navisworks, here’s a brief explanation of where they all fit:

1.      InfraWorks 360 offers coordination for design from the very start of the project
2.      Navisworks comes in later to help coordinate construction planning
3.      BIM 360 helps after this for the actual construction of the project on site

"

Hopes that the gives some insights'

mjfarrell:
In theory....

Infraworks is a scenario/planning and presentation tool.

It can help you make some pre design decisions and some renderings for same.

Much of what one sketches can transmit to intelligent objects back inside civil 3d.

However, that geometry will still require some adjustment, as there are not any real 'cad' tools in there to ensure that it is geometrically correct.

With  that in mind one could adopt a preliminary design (Civil 3d)
Into Infraworrks - modeling/presentation - any tweeks that come from the stakeholder meetings
then get exported back into C3D for final engineering and plans development.

Another GREAT use for it - KIDS - they love infraworks...lots of building no constraints - sort of a free form SIM CITY!

lamarn:
A bit of  toy :) expensive too.

MSTG007:
Some guys here are thinking that this can REPLACE SiteOps. Whats your thoughts on that? Also, is there performance woes on this? I have seen it crash a lot and take awhile to load up.

As I was thinking about this; I am really looking for a CONNECTOR that I can Bring REVIT 3D Drawings into CIVIL 3D, so as the designer grades or what ever they have a better idea of what they are doing. Sometimes, an outline can only do so much. I did not know if the Grading Stuff we do in CIVIL can be linked back to infraworks with the Revit model to give whomever a better understanding of whats going on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version