Author Topic: Dynamic Door Block  (Read 8842 times)

T-Square

Dynamic Door Block
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:45:44 PM »
Hello All,

Attached is a dynamic door block I have been working on. I know, simplistic and not nearly as complex as some I have seen.

Looking for some help. The block works fine without the rotation part of it. I just can't seem to get the rotation to keep from messing up the length of the door when I stretch it to a different size.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks All.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Dynamic Door Block
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:53:14 AM »
before I look, be sure that the box for selecting/including objects in the rotation is also fully contained with the stretch selection set
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

T-Square

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »
mj,

No idea what I am doing wrong and quite honestly don't understand what you meant.

I am working on it to no avail. uggghhhhhh

Definitely something to do with the rotation as it works fine without the rotation.

Never mind. I give up and will use/modify the one that comes with my version of AC. It does the job and I don't have to mess with it much.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:19:06 PM by T-Square »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 11:25:18 AM »
modified selection set for 'rotation' parameter.

it appears to work fine for me...you need to select EVERYTHING that you want to rotate
and that includes all other dynamic properties, or they stop working when the rotation is applied.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

T-Square

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »
MJ,

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to get the block to rotate everything by selecting everything. However, and my mistake, I did not explain that I was trying to get just the door and the door swing to rotate. Such as in a case where it "looks" better on the plan to rotate the door swing to avoid interference with another plan item. Like at an entrance door next to a closet door. I can do it with visibility states and is probably the best option. I was thinking I could get more out of less. hahahaha

Again, thanks for the reply.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »
OH....

well one should be able to do that...
although order of operation would be important

like stretch to proper size

then

rotate to fit plan/location constraints

let me look at that
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »
see if this satisfies your needs
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:34:38 PM »
it probably now also wants a stretch action on that arc that shows the door swing, to adjust for the door open/closed rotation
that is unless showing that door swing is important to note that two doors might have overlapping swings
while not desirable does sometimes happen
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

T-Square

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 10:53:59 PM »
MJ,

:-D

Ok, starting from square one. Drawing attached.

What I am trying to get out of each parameter/action...without using "visibility states".

Elements of the door block:

Door
Jambs
Door Swing Arc

1.) Door widths. Click and stretch to a "list" of openings.
2.) Door Jambs. Click and stretch to a "list" of widths.
3.) Flip door left and right.
4.) Flip door up and down.
5.) Have door swing arc "scale" according to door width and not go beyond the actual width of the door.
6.) Rotate door. May be free hand or to "increments"(i.e., 15,30,45,60,75).

I am not concerned with an alignment parameter. Most doors I place are aligned at the time of insertion of the block.

I think the "scale" action is what is causing me the problem. Everything works fine in the block I have attached in this response. When I try to add a rotation to the door to rotate it out of the way of another door or object and still have it present well in plan view, that is when it goes wrong.

Notice that the "stringed" actions are:

Stretch door width
Scale door arc
Stretch door jamb
Move flip actions to be in the middle of the door widths..."distance multiplier" set to 0.50

And just for SAG's... I have attached a block I created of elevation view of windows. It...again...is not much in todays world, but something I will use. Just can't afford the upgrades and baaaaaareeeeelllllyyyy getting by.

Drafter X

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 04:55:00 AM »
Mine is slightly different since it has to have a little more detail in my trade, but I think you can edit it to suit your needs.
CadJockey Militia Commander

T-Square

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
Drafter X,

Thanks for the block. What I don't know and what I need to know is how did you get the rotation to scale the arc according to the width?

I had to convert the block you posted as I am using AC2011(dwg v10). When I converted it, it appeared to have a "parametric" line in it. I would imagine that there is a way to do that. However...and again...I don't have the knowledge of parametric or heck even dynamics. People are free to call me a hack, unsophisticated, behind the times, old school....whatever suits their inner needs for self justification. Seriously....I am laughing.  :2funny:

I have been at this for several hours and I am not going to stop today unitl I have it. I don't want to take someone else's block and run with it. Learn from it as best as my old mind can...and do it myself. I have had help from many others here with many other things. I always credit and thank them. CAB has been a huge help over many years and if he ever comes to Alaska I owe him many beers.  :-D

What I have done and do is simplistic to most all in todays world. That's cool.

Give a man a fish....teach a man to fish. I learned to fish on my own.  :-D

Thanks Drafter X. I'm going to see if I can disect what you did.

Back to it.

Drafter X

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 04:19:51 PM »
I wish I was more help, I built that a long time ago and really don't remember what I did.. part of it is the fact the arc is actually a diminsion and not a true arc, so it behaves differently.  sometimes you gotta consider how the actual entities act and look at other options.

CadJockey Militia Commander

T-Square

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 07:29:44 PM »
Drafter X,

That's it. I did not see that it was an angular dimension string. That is exactly what I needed.

ding ding ding...winner winner. You nailed it man.

I will get back to you with the block when I finish it.

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!

T-Square

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »
Corrected... It does not appear you can actually do it with an angular dimension or without visibility states. Albeit close, that is just what it is...close. You have to move the angular dimension string slighty...ever so slightly... off of the points and consequently the arc of the angular dimension is not the true radius of the door width. Although when printed you would never see it on a piece of paper, it's not correct. I was hoping to not use visibility states as it creates a larger drawing(memory) because of all of the different linework needed to store all of the visibility states. I see why the one that Autodesk made in the tool pallettes uses visibilty states. The programming is not there and might not actually be able to do. I dunno. hahahaha

I think, but don't know, it may be "parametricly" possible, but then again maybe not.

Thanks for the idea. I do appreciate it.