Author Topic: Upgraded windows 7 to 10  (Read 2096 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Upgraded windows 7 to 10
« on: November 21, 2015, 09:05:31 pm »
I have done something wrong.

It took a little while to upgrade but once done I had to restart and have had no issues, errors, performance degradation, etc...

I had to spend 5 to 10 minutes googling a couple things to see where it was or how to handle something but everything has been easy to figure out even with it looking different.

What did I do wrong? I thought
google would be blocked
no start menu
mouse and keyboard would not work
could not figure out new interface that looks almost the same
etc.....

I will keep trying to see if I cant make it work like everyone told me it should.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Upgraded windows 7 to 10
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:13:14 pm »

you're playing with my head, I'm confused.

are you bitching at us  because it worked ??
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

--> Donate to theSwamp<--

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 09:58:08 pm »
Had a couple of people tell me how bad windows 10 was and how all these bad things happened, but my experience was good and like it so far.

Was just joking that some people expect it to be so bad and those are usually the loudest.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 02:04:47 am »
I've had similar experience, and rather like Win10's performance gains over Win8.1 (which also was a good OS upgrade to Win7, IMO [we're ignoring Win8, or at least filing that with WinVista, that flaming pile of puss]).

I've only had one issue so far, and for the life of me cannot see how it's Win10's fault (methinks it either network latency, or Autodesk causing it, but did not have this issue with Win8.1 using same version of C3D, on same hardware.

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=50185.0
"Potential has a shelf life." - Margaret Atwood

MickD

• Gator
  • I don't need a job, I need Money!!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 02:07:39 am »
Yep. I've been using it for a few months now and it's fine.
I had one major (not that bad) problem with my sound but with a bit of searching found a driver fix.
It's pretty much the same, boots up a bit quicker and I like the look of the window theme.
The new start menu is probably the biggest change and may throw some people but it's not un-workable.
"A language that doesn’t have everything is actually easier to program in than some that do."

— Dennis M. Ritchie

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 04:10:16 am »
Start menu now has Win7-like 'menu' style, or Win8.1-like full screen. I also like the option to have a main task bar (with everything), and secondary/tertiary apps only show on their respective monitor.

Only common functionality that's been removed that I wish hadn't, is the ability to drag sort pinned files. Grrr

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 04:26:42 am »

I updated 6 of the 7 machines here at home.
No issues technically ; usual PEBCAK issues of the nature "but it's different ... "

Fortunately I missed the 8.1 experience.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

--> Donate to theSwamp<--

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 12:55:48 pm »

I updated 6 of the 7 machines here at home.
No issues technically ; usual PEBCAK issues of the nature "but it's different ... "

Fortunately I missed the 8.1 experience.

8.1 was/is a good OS (and what Server 2012 R2 is built on) - 8 was grossly different from 8.1, and cumbersome to work with.

Most incorrectly thought 8.1 was an 'update' to 8, when in fact it was s different OS altogether (and free to anyone with 8 ); horrible branding/marketing decision on MS' part.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 02:19:29 pm »
Something I noticed just yesterday about Win10, more specifically as it relates to Office 2013 ProPlus (O365, automatically updated, 2016 ProPlus is being installed next week) - is that Start, All Apps icon, Microsoft Office 2013 folder only contains Outlook.

OneNote is down under the letter "O" heading, but Access, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint, and Word etc. are nowhere to be found.

Start, then typing "Word" doesn't even pull up Office's Word application.

I ended up having to navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15 via Explorer to pin apps to Start/Taskbar accordingly. Grrr

Separately, I'm also bummed that the all apps column (that comes onto screen from left, out of view), is not resizeable, regardless of using Start in menu or full screen form.

That being said, 'Autodesk AutoCAD Civil...' is all that I can see from the Start, All Apps view... Glad I use pinned apps instead, with multiple versions of IDSP installed.  :-D

MickD

• Gator
  • I don't need a job, I need Money!!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 03:31:17 pm »
Yep, I meant to mention that about the 'missing' apps as well, can be quite annoying. Pinning to start bar doesn't work either so I've had to resort to desktop short cuts or pin to task bar. :(

That's probably the worst annoyance I have noticed though.
"A language that doesn’t have everything is actually easier to program in than some that do."

— Dennis M. Ritchie

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 07:12:01 pm »
So here's a technical question for those that have already upgraded ....

My new machine will come with Win10 x64 installed, but I need to run VS 2012 and AutoCAD 2014+. I can downgrade to Win7 if needed.

What issues should I expect, if any?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 12:42:12 am »
I cannot speak to VS 2012, as I've been using VS 2015 since Win8.1, however I have been using IDSP (mostly C3D) 2015 since upgrading to Win10.

Generally speaking, everything seems to perform better under Win10.

The only CAD-specific issue I've experienced since, and I'm still not certain it's the fault of CAD on Win10 (methinks it a network latency issue, with too many users streaming), is linked above in post #3 of this thread.

Cheers

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 09:12:44 am »

My new machine will come with Win10 x64 installed, but I need to run VS 2012 and AutoCAD 2014+. I can downgrade to Win7 if needed.

Shouldn't you be able to set the executable to Run As Windows 7?
Human.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 09:47:05 am »

You might think .. but I've had issues with compatibility settings on other applications. Why should I think the Win 10 compatibility settings would be any different?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 12:54:16 pm »

You might think .. but I've had issues with compatibility settings on other applications. Why should I think the Win 10 compatibility settings would be any different?

Understandable.   I had a client that purchased a new computer with Windows 10 and while the program they typically used worked on 10 initially, it developed problems.  Once I set it to run as windows 7, I have not heard of a problem since.

I know that is only one case, but it is more than 0 cases.
Human.

TREVN

• Mosquito
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 05:46:53 am »
OK, this might sound like a dumb question, but as I'm no PC OS guru and only know CAD stuff I'll ask anyway!

I have IDSU installed on my home PC, amongst some other apps, so if I made the choice to install Win 10, will upgrading from Win 7 wipe these or will they stay?

Cheers  :uglystupid2:

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 07:29:31 am »
That depends on the installation type you elect... You can upgrade, or do a clean install... Either way, I'd suggest you make a complete backup to external drive before you begin.

Cheers

TREVN

• Mosquito
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 07:31:33 am »
OK, thanks.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 09:28:46 am »

The US Department of Defense announced today that it is to standardize on Windows 10. Over the course of the next year, some 4 million systems will be upgraded to Microsoft's latest operating system in what must be the largest enterprise deployment of the operating system worldwide.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)