Author Topic: No Plot line on Plotting layer  (Read 5829 times)

Pukenzz

• Newt
No Plot line on Plotting layer
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »
When I draw our hardware I want it all on a specific layer.  For the sake of description lets say my layer is _HDWR.  Many of the details I only want to be visible when plotted but I want ALL the details to be visible in the actual AutoCAD file so the draftsman can see them on his or her computer screen.  Is there a way to make certain lines plot and certain line NO-PLOT while keeping all on the same layer. I have no objection to using different colors if it helps.  If it make any difference I plan / prefer to use the monochrome.ctb plot style.

Thanks in advance. 

danallen

Re: No Plot line on Plotting layer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »
You could make all the non-plot objects be a color such as 255, and have your CTB plot that as a white pen, example RGB 0,0,0. If you have plot merge then nothing should be visible, if plot overwrite, then send those "non-plot" objects to make so they don't mask other objects.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:13:08 AM »
I have not tested this but why not create your own .ctb and assign a color or colors to have either 100% screening or a 0 width lineweight?

Layers are free. Make a second layer for hardware that doesn't plot.
CAD Tech

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
You can make a block of the objects you don't want to plot. If that block is inserted on a non-plot layer the objects will be visible but can't be plot.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »
The whole point of layers is to differentiate different parts, components and settings. Why not just make the same layer name but suffix it with -NoPlt (_HDWR-NoPlt)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 04:23:02 PM »
When I draw our hardware I want it all on a specific layer.  For the sake of description lets say my layer is _HDWR.  Many of the details I only want to be visible when plotted but I want ALL the details to be visible in the actual AutoCAD file so the draftsman can see them on his or her computer screen.  Is there a way to make certain lines plot and certain line NO-PLOT while keeping all on the same layer. I have no objection to using different colors if it helps.  If it make any difference I plan / prefer to use the monochrome.ctb plot style.

Thanks in advance.
LAYERS
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 08:07:53 AM »
If you don't want to add layers, 0 is required in all drawings so you could just make 0 a no plot layer.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »
If you don't want to add layers, 0 is required in all drawings so you could just make 0 a no plot layer.

I would not recommend use of 0(zero) layer for anything other than block creation.
From the dawn of autocad; 0 and defpoints are really not to be used by the user.
Instead the user should create their own layers.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 11:13:16 AM »

I would not recommend use of 0(zero) layer for anything other than block creation.
From the dawn of autocad; 0 and defpoints are really not to be used by the user.

Understandable, the OP just seems very persistent to the usage of 1 layer in the .DWG file. Just an option as he would not need to make an additional layer.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 11:30:21 AM »

Understandable, the OP just seems very persistent to the usage of 1 layer in the .DWG file. Just an option as he would not need to make an additional layer.
Given,

However, and it may be unpopular at times, one of our responsibilities is to tell people what they should do and not what they want to do....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:33:37 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 11:30:27 AM »
I hate to side with him but bad advice is better left unstated or, when deemed state-able as reinforcement for a better solution, should be done so with a stern warning that it is not a good idea.

Setting layer 0 to no plot could have further detrimental implications that could go unseen until it's too late.

Layers are free.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 11:41:23 AM »
I hate to side with him...

Really....

where's the love bro? 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Pukenzz

• Newt
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »
Yep layers are free.  I was just hoping Autodesk may have a way to control the plotability (not a word) per line regardless of layer. Seem like they give you all sorts of ability to control color, linetype, weight, transparency regardless of the layer but plot is ALL or NONE.  Every person will have their desired preferences and way of dealing with their discipline.  In this case I'm finding that the answer is what I thought and there is not a way to control plot or no plat withing the same layer.

Thanks All!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
perhaps look at STB plotting instead of CTB

Named plot style tables (STB) contain user-defined plot styles. When you use a named plot style table, objects that have the same color may be plotted differently, based on the plot style assigned to the object. A named plot style table can contain as many or as few plot styles as required. Named plot styles can be assigned to objects or layers, just like any other property.

AND

Layers
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Pukenzz

• Newt
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 08:42:02 PM »
OK all thanks for the great input.  Still set in my ways.  Maybe this next question should push to a new thread but...

All line weights plot as I would assume but .0000 lineweights shows up.  I would think it would no. Greater the number thicker the line.  Lesser the number thinner the line.    Am I missing something?

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 08:04:51 AM »
My understanding is that a lineweight of 0 is interpreted as 'the thinnest line the device can create'.  So a 180DPI printer will print a line of weight 0.000000 that is 'fatter' than a 1200DPI device would.

If you don't want it on the paper, but do want to see it on screen, use a no-plot layer for that linework.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
Since you're not going to use layers then put the objects you don't want to plot to RGB 255 255 255.

Custom Build PC

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
Since you're not going to use layers then put the objects you don't want to plot to RGB 255 255 255.

good idea.  just watch out for draworder, otherwise you may end up with white lines crossing on top of black lines, and leaving an unexpected gap on the paper.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »

This will only work provided the plot style is set to interpret 255 as plot white, not plot black or shade of grey.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »
RGB colors by-pass the plot settings.
CAD Tech

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »

This will only work provided the plot style is set to interpret 255 as plot white, not plot black or shade of grey.
What Rob.. said :)

Custom Build PC