Author Topic: ACAD returns wider Extents3D than expected  (Read 1891 times)

AngelKostadinov

• Newt
ACAD returns wider Extents3D than expected
« on: October 10, 2015, 05:50:19 AM »
Hello guys,
Currently I'm checking a bunch of drawings if they meet some criteria. Our engineers have to draw a single drawing frame around construction elements and a single drawing table on each layout.
The drawing table has to be inside the drawing frame. Basically I have to check if extents of the drawing table (a block reference) is inside the extents of the drawing frame (another block reference).
As you can see on the attached picture, with purple color, the extents returned by ACAD are wider than the graphical representation of the drawing table and they reach outside the frame. My routine count this drawing as wrong, but it is actually not. How I could overcome this, could you help me, please!
You can find the drawing attached below. I'm using mgddbg tool for dumb the extents.

Best regards, Angel!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:54:23 AM by AngelKostadinov »

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: ACAD returns wider Extents3D than expected
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 07:41:27 AM »
Have a look at the Column Width of the Text 'Eins im Weser Quartier' in the Block.
It is too wide.

added:
Just for interest,
How did you generate the magenta outline representing the extents of the block ?

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:47:57 AM »
If you select the block then click on the Right most gliph you can see the extents of the TextBox

Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

AngelKostadinov

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:12:23 AM »
Thank you very much, Kerry!
I inspected elements inside the block one by one, but it seems, I've missed this. Could you excuse me about that...

So, I have to reconsider my algorithm in order to find out if one block is drawn inside the other, since extents could be very different than graphical representation. That's bad news :)

And about magenta rectangle-> I took the coordinates of extents from "mgddbg" and drew the rectangle by hand :)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »
@ AngelKostadinov,

You're welcome to any help gleaned from the post.

This is a difficult issue actually.
Technically, your code is correct to allow for the text column width .. that is the block required for usage and you should not make special allowances for your interpretation of what you assume you think the 'client' 'should' want. ( even if the client is your boss).

I believe the original block should be revised. One option is to provide a routine to prompt for permission and make the update pragmatically.

Good fortune,

AngelKostadinov

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 02:22:34 AM »
You are right, Kerry, thank you very much for dedicated time!
Best regards, Angel!