Author Topic: Same Code, Multiple Projects, Multiple Builds  (Read 26829 times)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Same Code, Multiple Projects, Multiple Builds
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »
The code is looking nicer already! And, I see you fixed some of the IF-braces issue I mentioned. Keep going.

Looks big and complicated. What was wrong, again, with the getopt() method I linked to or the hand-rolled--very simple--version I made for you? ...why add unnecessary complexity to a very simple task (more lines of code does not equal better)?
I didn't have a close look at that, just adding it for anyone following along, for future reference.

Well you already know my opinion on that topic (should adopt something); yes, doing so will require major refactoring to your code base. That leads me to a question for you though; in the beginning I wanted to help you (help contribute/fix/format/refactor with actual code) but you labeled my questions/points/suggestions/discussions as "poisonous" (If I understand correctly, you don't seem to want help). If this thread is only advertising (so-to-speak), I would recommend moving it to the "show your stuff" forum (I think you'll get more `followers' if people understand that minor--but important--point; a thread in this forum people tend to think of as needed/wanting help). Would you like me to move this thread to the "show your stuff" forum (let me know and I would be very happy to help)?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

CADbloke

• Bull Frog
  • Crash Test Dummy
Re: Same Code, Multiple Projects, Multiple Builds
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2016, 09:20:23 PM »
The code is looking nicer already! And, I see you fixed some of the IF-braces issue I mentioned. Keep going.
Thanks. Some things take a while to sink in so...never give up.

It is pretty-much done to the stage where I use it in anger and it works for me. If I were to build more into it I think it needs some pretty serious refactoring to uncomplicate it and I would definitely drop in the command-line parser you have been nudging me with. For now, it works and it's not broken (much) so I'll leave it alone for a while.

in the beginning I wanted to help you (help contribute/fix/format/refactor with actual code) but you labeled my questions/points/suggestions/discussions as "poisonous" (If I understand correctly, you don't seem to want help).
Just me being a sooky princess :cry:.  I have dried my tears, I will be ok. All help is welcome, for code or otherwise.

If this thread is only advertising (so-to-speak), I would recommend moving it to the "show your stuff" forum (I think you'll get more `followers' if people understand that minor--but important--point; a thread in this forum people tend to think of as needed/wanting help). Would you like me to move this thread to the "show your stuff" forum (let me know and I would be very happy to help)?
I put it here because I thought .NET devs would be most interested in it. I'm not concerned with my popularity as such, I just wanted to explore yet another way of building the same thing for multiple upstream APIs. This should go wherever you think the most people would benefit from it. Feel free to move it if you think that's a good idea.

FWIW, it hasn't got much attention on Github, CADtest got more. Neither of them are destined to be the  Next Big Thing TM

My strike rate at picking the markets has been quite low lately, would you believe that http://www.tvcad.tv/ has more on its mailing list than http://www.cadfindreplace.com/ ? tvCAD is a $2.5k /yr app, Find-Replace a fraction of that and it has been really useful for me. Weird, this startup stuff.