Author Topic: Quick Edit Pipes  (Read 2366 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Quick Edit Pipes
« on: September 11, 2015, 06:45:51 AM »
Just wanted to share a link I just found, you might be interested in. I am gonna play around to see if I can get it to work. Knowing me... it will not work. But might as well try!

http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/2011/04/civil3d-quick-pipe-edit.html

I do like the idea of it... it would save a lot of head aches too.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Quick Edit Pipes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »
hmmmm,  wondering out loud....is this any better than using the Pipes Vista, given that one knows they need to edit pipes?

This editing of pipes and NOT having the entire run adjust based on a slope/elevation change is something Autodesk should have addressed ages ago.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Quick Edit Pipes
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 09:10:02 AM »
Just wanted to share a link I just found, you might be interested in. I am gonna play around to see if I can get it to work. Knowing me... it will not work. But might as well try!

http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/2011/04/civil3d-quick-pipe-edit.html

I do like the idea of it... it would save a lot of head aches too.

FWIW -

Chris' concept was implemented, and improved upon (single click edit, instead of double, etc.), with the PIPEELEVATIONEDITOR Command as part of SincPac, which you may also find useful if you do a lot of Civil 3D work.

This editing of pipes and NOT having the entire run adjust based on a slope/elevation change is something Autodesk should have addressed ages ago.

Methinks the ability to edit pipes 'graphically' is preferable over Vistas, especially given how much column rearranging is needed to even get a usable 'data table', YMMV.

That said, I agree that adjusting of a given pipe elevation, or swapping to larger/smaller pipe even (i.e. matching tops), *should* allow one to raise/lower the proceeding pipes in the run the same difference in elevation - that's how it works in an Excel spreadsheet, after all. :-)

Only stopped to comment, as I'm facing this same issue at the moment... Trying to to get others to use more than just Alignments & existing Surface Profiles, and setup some Pipe Networks from scratch (previously unused).

We (currently) don't build proposed Surfaces until the end of a project, or as volumes are required, so Pipe Networks do not exactly behave well OOTB (as you well know). Pipes will enter a (manhole) structure through the cone (not allowed here), with no reference Surface pipes frequently come in at a negative elevation, etc.

... And where the he!! is the ability to insert at an (Expression-based?) elevation relative to Alignment's Profile?! :-( Grrr

In any event, ^^ this ^^ functionality has been the only saving grace for me, but the rest of my office doesn't have such, and so I find myself having to go back and weigh if the benefits of using Pipe Networks is worth the effort. *not sure* *shrugs*

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:56:53 AM by BlackBox »
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."